Fairytale

Oh god this fic is so fucking long you guys pls give it a shot I'm begging

Uhhh this was written for this book reaching 200K reads but that number may be more when you're reading this

ANYWAYS y'all r nuts ily

They are humans (if you couldn't have guessed)

CW/TW - Alcohol consumption, themes/thoughts of suicide at the beginning, death, shitty parents, blood

-🖤-💛-🏳️‍🌈-💛-🖤-

The dragon roared, beating its large, bat-like wings as it flew out of its cave and perched itself atop the tower.

The sun slowly revealed itself over the dense forest that surrounded the large tower. Dream groaned, holding his stomach in pain. He languished as the sun slowly filtered through the windows in his room.

His stomach rumbled, empty and starving. God, he hated waking up in the morning. He ground his teeth as he hesitantly got out of bed. He sat on his bed for a long while, feeling the sun on his brown skin and the fabric of his bed.

Contemplating it all was a usual activity for him in the morning. Existence was exhausting and Dream wondered what the whole point of it all was. All he did was wake up, eat, try to fill the daylight hours the best he could and then start all over again the next morning.

He couldn't go out and meet anyone, the stupid dragon wouldn't let him leave. And nobody wanted to visit him because of said dragon.

He wondered why he bothered to continue living if there was nothing to do with his life.

Then his stomach growled at him. Loudly.

He should eat something before he contemplated his life. Hunger did things to people and not everyone realized it.

He trudged into the kitchen and whipped open one of the cabinets that held his food. The kitchen was above the living room, and below his bedroom. Jesus, there were so many stairs to climb in this damned tower.

He broke a piece of bread off of a large loaf and wandered over to the window. It faced the forest, and towards the kingdom he used to live in. The castle was barely visible in the light.

He looked down at the entranceway from the forest to his tower, watching. He knew that the peasant boy who brought his food wouldn't be here for another month or so, but he did hope.

That peasant boy was so handsome, with his big blue eyes and sweet smile, how he hadn't been married off yet was beyond Dream.

He sighed, grabbing an apple and then closing the cabinet and going downstairs. As much as his heart longed to meet, to love the peasant boy who fed him, he knew it would never happen.

He was royalty, and he had already dishonored his family enough. Marrying a peasant would be the last straw for his parents.

There were other people in the world, someday he'd come across one just as attractive, maybe more attractive, than his peasant boy.

He bit into the apple and scowled. Too bad he was stuck up in this stupid tower. People had to come to him instead of him coming to them. It was driving him crazy.

He wanted to go out and be someone. Do things! He didn't think that was too much to ask.

He sat up and opened the window before throwing the apple core out of the window as hard as he could. He popped his back and climbed all the stairs back to his bedroom. He opened the window there and breathed in the cold, fresh air.