15

INCOMING CALL: Bossman

Holland.

Tom.
you need to go back to set
i'm really sorry
but we're running out of time
Marvel called and we have no choice

okay when?

i've had (PA) book your flight
it leaves in 20 minutes 

what!?
how do i even get there that fast!?

there's a car outside ready to take you
you have to go now
i'm really sorry 

it's fine
i'll grab my bag

be quick
you have 20 to be at the airport

yeah...
i got it

thanks Tom
see you later

yeah bye

--- 

2 HOURS LATER

Real Life

the Holland house was extremely quiet when Emily woke up.

that was the first thing she noticed because that was never - ever - the case. the house always had laughter and screaming siblings at no matter the time or snoring overnight from all of the Holland boys. so the silence was a strange occurrence. 

she turned slightly, looking over to the bed that occupied the boy she had been hopelessly in love with since she was a young girl, of course she was obliviously unaware of the feelings when the pair were younger, thinking the jealousy she was feeling was just the result of Tom splitting his time between three people, and his siblings. she put the pain of him not being at school during auditions to just missing her best friend. 

but by the time they were 14 she knew very well that she was in love with the boy, he'd returned from Billy Elliot and she though that they'd be able to spend more time together - distance makes the heart grow fonder after all - but it turned out with all of his upcoming roles that she knew nothing about Tom began to distance himself from Emily, perhaps distance makes the heart grow cold...

but the thing that stung her the most was the fact Tom still spent time with her brother and their other best friend, he just shut down on her, there was the odd occasion she'd get some humility from the lad, like going to the Iron Man premiere, but while that was one of the best nights of her life, the following weeks of complete ignorance were ones she'd happily forget. 

when they finished high school the two went their separate ways completely, Emily was heartbroken, still deeply in love with boy despite him keeping his distance. but as time went on it got harder to justify why he was no longer talking to her, she found out how he was through Harrison and her brother until Tom stopped talking to him as well after being swamped with work.

it was three years after high school when she got into her relationship with Dylan, it was weird to begin with dating the guy who had treated her and her friends - especially Tom - like crap throughout their schooling but maybe that's why she justified it? as a way to spite him if he ever came home, hurt him with the memories, like the memories hurt her. 

after the Civil War fiasco, she saw his face everywhere, posters for the film lined the streets of London for weeks after promoting the film to anyone who gave it a sideways glance, but it felt like torture see him all the time. 

when her brother died, it was the first time she thought about reaching out to Tom directly, the pain was unbearable and she just wanted his comfort. she always sought his comfort when they were younger, and it only felt right then. but she had no way to do it, she didn't have his number, and as much as she loved and stayed in touch with his family, she felt weird going to them before him. but then Dylan waltzed through the door after one of his late night rendezvous so she used him, she felt bad for it at first, but he used her too, and had been for a lot longer so she validated the idea for the period of time she needed him.

but then Tom came back.
and everything seemed to fall back into place.

like he never left in the first place, making her smile and fall harder than the first time.

but the smile on Emily's face dropped when she looked over at the freshly made bed in the corner, except for the Staffie that lay across the bottom, brown puppy eyes staring up at her solemnly.

"Tom?" she called out waiting to hear his voice from the bathroom and have her nerves placated.

but there never was a voice in the bathroom. 

she sat up, looking at the bed closer, expecting to see some form of life under the tightly made bedding - call her delusional if you will. but of course, there was no life, only a little folded paper. at sight of it, Emily shot out of bed, rushing across the room startling the poor dog.

she read the note, frustrated tears pooling in her eyes.

things were just starting to look up again...

---

Emi,

i'm so sorry to do this to you again. 

i've had to go back to work.

these last few weeks have been so rewarding to me. i know that Danny would be happy at how well you've handled everything and he'd be happy we're here as we are after all this time. 

i'm sorry i have to ruin it. 

i'll come back to you - i promise.

T x