IV

"You know we need to talk about it, Draco.", Pansy sighed, her fingers intertwined. She looked up at me, a worried look staining her pretty face. "I'm fine, Pans, I don't know what happened.", I answered, looking away. I didn't want to talk about it. "Don't lie to me, I'm not stupid. I've noticed how skinny you got over the summer. It was foolish of me to believe that it was because of Potter's crazy fans that you sometimes didn't have food in the house.", she leant forward. Resting her face in her hands, her elbows balancing on her knees.

"I promise nothings wrong with me. I'm bloody fine and you need to stop poking into other people's business Pans. It's starting to become annoying.", I scowled, exiting the room and leaving behind a surprised and slightly sad Pansy alone in the room.

I walked through the halls. They were abandoned at this time of day, I just hoped I wouldn't cross paths with Filch. I walked into moaning myrtle's restroom, it was deserted as always, an old blood stain of mine still visible on the mirror.
I plunged my hands in my pocket with a deep sigh, some rest at last, until I felt a little diary. I took it out. My mother gave it to me before I left that morning, she said I should write my problems inside of it and that it would help.
So, I decided to give it a go.

After I had stained the first page with my ink, I decided to hide the diary in the restroom. I knew Blaise would surely try to poke around my room because of Pansy, no one would find it here.

***

Walking back to my dorm, I heard laughter and music. I paused in front of the entrance. They were having a party, I was intruding. I didn't know what to do, I couldn't move nor make a sound. As soon as I would enter, everyone would look at me. Stare. Whisper.
I wasn't quite in the mood, not that I ever was in the first place.

I decided to run back to the restroom, I panicked. Social gatherings had never been my thing, they could've been though.
On my way, I had to hide behind a wall as Potter and Weaslette were coming through. I wouldn't bear their comments as I walked by.

Arrived at the restroom, I immediately noticed something was wrong. The brick that I had hid the diary under had been pushed to the side. Someone had been here. Someone had read what I had written.

I opened it on the first page again. I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't this.

I get how you feel, mate. The war changed me. I feel angry all the time and I want to end it all. I can't though. It wouldn't be right to end up like that. After all I've been through, I need a reason to live on otherwise it'll all have been for nothing. I'm sorry I read your diary, I just wanted to fix the brick. I just thought I'd let you know, you're not alone. I just put a smile on my face and pretend, pretend to have moved on. I haven't.

A teardrop fell onto the page. Was there truly someone out there that understood what I was going through? I found that hard to believe. I decided to write back. I needed to find this person and stay anonymous at the same time.

***

After a minute or two, I decided to just go back to the dormitory and run to my room as fast as I could, no one would notice surely?
I was wrong though.
Everyone noticed.

As soon as I had entered, all eyes were on me, I felt like the walls were closing in and I could hear my own name being whispered everywhere. The air was stuck in my throat, it simply wouldn't go down to my lungs as much as I tried. Breathing heavily, I stormed to my room.

I stumbled around, the air still unable to fill my body. My eyes were starting to tear up and the room was starting to spin. Right as my vision went blurry, a soothing voice calmed me down. "Breathe", he said, pressing his chest against my back, breathing at the same time as me. "Just breathe.".

We stayed like that for a while, until air filled up my lungs again. I turned around, expecting to see Blaise who always helped me with breathing, but no.
It was him.
Harry bloody Potter.
I was unable to produce any sound as I stepped back, looking at him in a strange way. I couldn't believe he had just done that.

"What in Merlin's sake is wrong with you!?", I yelled, backing up against the wall, as far as I could, away from the gryffindor.
"Zabini told me to hold u and help u breathe since he was busy snogging some lady! Calm the fuck down! It's not like I wanted to!", Potter answered, holding up his hands in defense. He turned around, walking toward the door, as I mumbled a 'thank you' despite our rivalry.
He abruptly stopped, turned around and smirked, "It wouldn't be the first time I saved your arse, Malfoy, but don't get used to it.", and with that, he was out the door.