XX

I was going to miss Harry. I was going to miss the way he twirled his hair around his finger when he was tired and the way he smirked every time he saw me. I still often wondered what I had done to deserve the Chosen One. Merlin, I would miss him.

"Have you got all of your stuff? Your books, your parchment, clothes, toiletry?", Harry worriedly checked. I nodded calmly, smiling down at him. I put my hand on his cheek and whispered: "When I'm back, I will give you the best snogging session you've ever had.". His eyes lit up and his face turned a very adorable shade of pink. "I can't wait until you're back.", he giggled into my arms as we hugged one last time before I left. He gave me a short kiss and then waved me goodbye as I left him standing at the door of our room. We had agreed it was a better idea to say our goodbyes there to avoid attracting unwanted attention from certain people. If we were surrounded by other students, we wouldn't have had the chance to say a proper goodbye.

McGonagall had prepared a carriage for me back to the station where I would take the train to King's Cross. From there, an auror would pick me up and escort me to my home. After that, well, I would see my father again.

The train ride was lonely. I was the only passenger as far as I knew, other than Professor Sprout who had volunteered to accompany me on the ride. "Mr. Malfoy, I'm afraid I must ask you a question. Are you quite alright? I have been informed, of course, about your situation and do indeed wish you all the best.", she calmly said. I looked at her, she was sitting in the booth next to mine. I shrugged. "It's been difficult, I will admit, and it will get harder, but I'll be alright. I really prefer not to talk about it, if you don't mind Professor.", I answered, averting my gaze back to the window. I could see hills with forests and lakes that at this time of year would be freezing cold to swim in. The sun was hiding behind some clouds, making the outside look grey and glacial. We weren't even in Winter yet. Sprout nodded and peered outside the window as I did. "The weather really is getting colder, isn't it?", she sighed. I hummed a response. I appreciated her attempt at small talk, but I was too tired to make much of an effort. I did not look forward to seeing my father.

We finally arrived, after a long and exhausting train ride to King's Cross. Professor Sprout gave me a smile as she stayed on board and the train left once more. I was alone now like I used to be. With my suitcase at hand, I walked off the platform and was greeted by an Auror. I had never seen or met him before. Standing at a height taller than my own, the Auror had short lanky brown hair that he would probably have completely lost in a few years' time. He had hooded blue eyes, thick eyebrows, and an angular threatening face. The man was dressed in a sleek suit of rich emerald color and on top a black trench coat. "You must be the Malfoy boy. My name is Richard Browne, you will address me as 'sir'. Is that understood?", the Auror said in a deep raspy voice. I found him quite intimidating, certainly because of his last name; Browne. I knew this man's son a little too well. "Yes sir.", I answered, raising a brow. I looked him up and down twice, making sure he saw me, and then rolled my eyes, silently insulting the man. I might be messed up in the head, but I would not let some auror intimidate me, I was a Malfoy after all. This was our legacy.

I followed Mr. Browne to a black car, he told me to get in, so I did, and then he got in the driver's seat and drove us away. Richard Browne wasn't a very talkative man, on the contrary, he refused to say a word to me. I absolutely didn't mind this because so did I. We drove through many roads, along different cities until we arrived in the quiet countryside. He slowed down here because the roads were small, surrounded by bushes, and rocky. We arrived at the Chateau, my new home. It wasn't like the manor, it didn't have so many rooms, it wasn't so absolutely grandiose, and my room was barely the same size as the Slytherin common room. It was disgraceful, but it ought to do. Malfoy Manor was no longer a place where we could live.