09; love is a battlefield

Carina's povthe next day: saturday

Carina's pov
the next day: saturday

"Whats wrong with this dress?" Sofia picked up the dress i tossed on the floor.

"Its too much. I dont want to look like im trying too hard."

"So you dont want him to think you're trying to impress him?" She raised a brow.

"Yeah, exactly." i rummaged through my closet to find something else to wear.

"So just wear a t-shirt and jeans."

"No!" i groaned in annoyance as i looked for something cute to wear.

"But i thought you didnt want to impress him?"

"Yeah but i dont want to be dressed all bland. What if he thinks i look lame?"

"I thought you didnt care?!" she shouted frustratedly.

"I dont!"

We bickered back and forth.

"You totally like him."

"No i dont. So shut up already."

"You like him." she giggled to herself. "Ive never seen you this stressed over a guy since we lived in California. When you were in middle school, that one boy. What was his name? I just remember he had brown hair and he had dimples. Was it Daniel?"

"I thought we agreed to never talk about anything California related." i shot her a glare.

"Sorry. It slipped out."

Anything California related is just a bad subject for me. I had to leave behind a life that i was barely getting to live. I had friends, a young middle school crush, i had some happiness and that was stripped away the second my father went too far.

"What about this one?" Sofie took me out of my own thoughts as she grabbed a hanger from my closet.

It was a cute blouse. Definitely doesnt look like im trying too hard.

—