Ch.39 - Steadfast

Ch.39 - Steadfast

"Where are we anyway?" Bakugou asked as he finally relaxed and started to look around this dusty place.

"Just some old abandoned house." You told him. "I looked through it earlier and there aren't any demons lurking here. Well... aside from you."

He gave you a glare and scoffed. You silently chuckled. The silence grew between the pair of you. It was stiff and hesitant like you both had something you wanted to say but didn't know how to do so.

You had come here to spend some time with him, but now that you had, you were struggling to actually talk with your demonic fiance. He too looked unsure of things. Unsure of what to do or say when it was clear that something was hanging over you and maybe him as well from what those memories had reminded him of what today was.

"Do you ever think about what you want to do once we get past this demon situation?"

You had worked up the nerve to ask your question and from how his eyes widened slightly, it was clear the question had caught him off guard. It was such an odd question for you to ask him so out of the blue, but one he could also see was well deserved to be asked.

He had been like this for a while and you wanted to know what would happen when it all went back to normal. What you could dream about in order to help motivate you to create that cure for him. It was a big question and it was clear you knew that when you asked him. He knew he needed to answer it since you had worked up the nerve to ask it. But what was his answer?

What... did he want to do when he was human again though?

"I don't know." He shrugged.

Honestly? He never thought about it. He had only known himself to be a demon after all. He only knew of what he was now. Even with some memories coming back, he would never feel like that ash-blonde from his memories was him.

It felt more like looking back at what he had been in a past life. In a way it was... seeing as he no longer was a human and was something else. What was the word again? Reincarnation? Yeah... maybe that was really how it felt for him. He died before and had come back now as someone else, but not entirely. He still looked like him, acted like him, and maybe even felt as he once did. Yet he had no memories and no feeling of attachment to that him.

He felt like... he was a fractured person. Where one half was a demon and the other half had died when he was originally infected with whatever demon virus did this to him.

His carmine eyes looked up and he saw Kurokuri frowning. No doubt feeling upset that he couldn't answer her question. So, not wanting that frown to remain on her features, he cleared his throat to get her attention and then asked his follow-up question.

"What should I fucking look forward to as a human again?" He breathed out.

Your face lit up and that dazzling smile of yours appeared. Your eyes of (eye color) shimmered in the dull lighting of the room and your hands balled into fists. Not ones for fighting though, but rather ones to try and contain your excitement.

"There's so much you'll be able to do again once you're human!" You told him with an eager tone. "To start you'll be able to go out in the sun again! So you could go swimming on hot days or take long hikes or just have a relaxing afternoon reading or playing games while a summer breeze goes past."

"I can do all that shit at night already, moron."

"It's different during the day though! The night is cool and crisp and quiet... but the day is bright and warm and full of life! The night is good... but there's nothing like looking at the landscape in front of you and seeing the world when most of its life is awake. It's like... I don't know- a feeling of not being alone. Even if you think so... You're never truly when the sun is out and beckoning people to bask in its warm light.