Chapter 2

Rikki

The next day

Rikki decided to surprise her dad by making a home cooked meal and sets off shopping to the grocery store. She pulls up near the entrance with her dad's old motorbike.  Rikki shakes the escaped curls from her face as she takes the helmet off. She mentally running through her grocery list when a colourful flyer on the huge glass wall catches her eye.

Hiring tattoo artist!
Required: reference, or qualification in art & design, can work 4 days a week + flexible schedule
New tattoo salon found on the corner of Dawes avenue and Eaton lane

There was a phone number and an email address attached too. Rikki walks in absentmindedly and picks up a shopping basket.

***

"Hi, I'm home!" - Rikki's dad shouts as he enters the flat.
"Kitchen!"- Rikki shouts back as she opens the oven and pulls out a pot of her dad's favourite chicken casserole.
"Smells lovely."- Rikki's dad says as he enters the kitchen taking a deep breath.
"Thanks, made it just for you so I damn well hope you like the taste as well."- Rikki said jokingly.
"How was your first day back?"- he says while setting cutlery and napkins on the kitchen table.
"It was strangely refreshing. Also I saw this flyer about a new tattoo studio. Might give them a call if they still need a decent tattoo artist."- Rikki says plating the dinner. She sits in her usual chair, opposite of her dad.
He looks at his daughter for a moment too long. It is strange, not quite like him.
"What?" - Rikki raises a blond brow in confusion.
"I-... I was trying to think of a right time but there's no right time. My cancer is back. I'm so sorry kid. I didn't know how to tell you, I didn't want you to worry..."
"Dad! Of course I'm worried. And also a little bit mad that you didn't tell me. I would've come home if I knew!"
"Of course you would have, that's exactly why I didn't tell you! I wanted you to have fun! It's not exactly like you could do anything about it anyway."- he says the last part in a stained voice. It must be really bad then.
"You're making it very difficult to be angry at you. Besides, it's not like you can stay angry at a dying person."- Rikki says with a weak laugh. There's silence, the ticking of the old clock is the only sound.
"Hey... kid. It will be fine."- he reaches his hand across the table and strokes his daughters face softly.
Rikki smiles in hopes of comforting her father, like she actually believes it will be fine.