Chapter 12

Rikki

It's been three weeks since the whole Emma thing. Rikki concentrated on work only. She tried drowning her thoughts out with loud music but it didn't seem to work. Her mind kept replaying the conversation her and Emma had that morning, searching for any indication that she might have said something wrong, upset her somehow. It was bothering her so much that when a guy came in asking for her girlfriends name to be tattooed on his arm, Rikki almost wrote "Emma" instead of "Emily". Thankfully before starting on the second "m" she snapped out of her daydream. Phew, that would have been awkward.
Rikki took this as a sign to take a rain check, and stayed in the trailer park working on the bike. But there's only so much work you can do on one motorbike, so eventually she decided to take a trip to the old Juicenet Café. She's been avoiding going there since she got back, the place carried too many painful memories. But she felt way too curious not to go.
Upon he arrival, she found that the place had been converted into some hippie yoga studio. Not that she had a problem with yoga, the place was just a bit too kitsch for her taste.
Rikki was overwhelmed by a sense of longing. What would she give for a banana-beatbox right now! And even better if she'd have the company too. Lewis, Cleo and.... Emma. Her heart dropped at the thought of Emma. Suddenly Rikki felt transported back in time, all the pining over her best friend. She remembered all the pain of Emma leaving, and having her heart shattered. There always seemed to be something missing when Emma wasn't around. Gosh, Rikki just hated depending on people so much. She wanted to be so angry at Emma, but she just couldn't find any anger in her heart towards that girl. That girl. After all, it wasn't even her fault, she did nothing wrong. The anger that Rikki felt, wasn't directed towards Emma, it was towards society. And since they don't fit the norm, they're seen as outcasts. Luckily, that has improved over the years; people became more and more progressive and understanding. But that still can't change the fact that high school would have been a living hell, if they would have come out. And Emma isn't to blame for that.
With these thoughts, Rikki walked along the beach and settled down onto the warm sand. She stretched her legs out and sighed.
She missed Emma a lot. It was clear that she didn't want anything from Rikki though, so she'll have to let this dammed situation go. Just one phone call. Emma is just one phone call away. Yet Rikki couldn't bring herself to call Emma. She couldn't be selfish, she'd have to just carry on with her life and move past her feelings. Rikki got her phone out and stared at Emma's icon. Call or not call? Her phone started buzzing and she startled, dropping the phone onto the sand. She quickly picked it up, but to her disappointment It wasn't Emma.
It was an unknown number, but she answered anyways.
"Hello?" Rikki said.
"Hello I am calling from Terry Chadwick's phone, is this his daughter?" A serious voice with urgency spoke from the other end.
"Yes, that's me. What's wrong?"