Chapter 3

Emma

Emma opened the door of her flat and Calypso the Siamese cat came to greet her by rubbing up against her legs and purring loudly.
"Hiya baby"- she says in her cooing pet voice.
"Hey sweetheart"- Leo her roommate says from under the kitchen counter in a mocking, sickly sweet voice.
"Christ, I didn't know you'd be in. You scared the shit out of me! Aren't you supposed to be at the hospital already? Dr Andrews is going to whoop your ass if you're late."
"Man, I wish he would, I wish he would."- he said dreamily and appeared from under the counter with a Tupperware container that he must have been searching for.
"Not like that, you perv. Besides he's your boss."- tutted Emma disapprovingly.
"I know, I know."- Leo said this in a voice that made it sound like he really didn't know. He swiftly packed a sandwich in the Tupperware and put it in his bag.
"Have a safe flight! Also don't fall for Calypso, I already fed her. You know what an actress she is." And he was out the door in a blink.
Emma got herself a glass of cold water and stretched out on the sofa. Her feet were aching from running around the emergency room all day. Even after almost a year of residency the long shifts were still something she wasn't used to. She loved working at the hospital but it was a tiring job. Calypso jumped up onto the sofa and settled next to Emma's side. Her suitcase was already packed and ready to go, so she figured she could sleep for a bit until her alarm goes off.
Emma drifted off to the sounds of the Sydney night and the purring of her beloved cat.