Chapter 13

Rikki

Rikki's hand was shaking  and clammy with sweat. The phone was threatening to slip out of her grip.
"Your father has been hospitalised. There's been some complications due to his cancer. I'm calling from the Gold Coast University Hospital. Now I know this is difficult to digest so quickly, but I'd advise you to come see him soon. His health is unstable."
This better not be true. Please let it not be true. Rikki was panicking.
"Ma'am, can you hear me?"
"Yes- I-... I'm on my way." Rikki threw her phone into her bag and started running home. When she got to the trailer park she quickly got the bike and sped off to the hospital. She cut the corners and sped way over the limit. Her mind was racing, thinking of the worst case scenario. She couldn't live without her dad, she just couldn't manage. She didn't have anyone else. She screwed up her friendships in Amsterdam and now she had no one left. It's always been her dad and her against the world.
Rikki rushed to reception and was given directions by a nurse on where to find her dad.
The hospital smelled of antiseptic and illness. This is why Rikki hated hospitals. She could always smell the depressing odour of dying people.
She saw Terry lying in a hospital bed, his eyes closed. He seemed small and fragile, not the broad shouldered man Rikki grew up with. Her steps pattered on the linoleum floor as she approached the bed. At this he slowly opened his eyes and smiled.
"Hey kid," he croaked a little, as someone who hadn't spoken in a while.
"Dad, you scared me!" Rikki let out a breath she's been holding in since the call.
"Don't worry, I'll be fine." They both knew this was a lie, but chose to believe it for as long as they could.
She gently hugged him, and he patted her back softly, as if to reassure her.

Two days later, Terry Chadwick died. Rikki was still in a shock, as she unlocked the trailer. She walked inside, zombie like, threw the keys on the small table and walked into her dad's room. Everything smelled like him, like home. Tears slid from her eyes rapidly into her hair and ears as she lay sobbing on the bed. Rikki pulled her knees up to her chest and stayed curled up like that for quite a while. She had no one left. No family, no friends, nobody she could get in touch with. At least, not anymore.
She thought of old friends from Amsterdam, but she cut contact with everyone. Her work colleagues were nice, but they weren't that close. She thought of Cleo and Lewis. It would be embarrassing to call them after hardly being in contact for so long, but she was really desperate, and they used to be best friends.
She scrolled through her contacts and decided to call Cleo. The phone rang about ten times and Rikki was about to hang up, when she picked up.
"Hi Cleo, I'm so sorry to bothe-"
"Rikki it's so good to hear your voice" an excited Lewis picked up the phone.
"Lewis, hi"
"Rikki, I'm a dad! Can you believe it? Me, a father of a living, breathing child! Cleo's asleep. She's exhausted from the birth, of course." His voice was filled with joy. She couldn't bear to burden him with her own pain.
"Oh wow! Congratulations!" She made an effort to put on a cheerful voice, after all, she was happy for them.
"We named her Victoria! She's completely healthy and we should be home from the hospital tomorrow morning."
"I'm so glad to hear that. Give her a kiss from auntie Rikki, will you? And tell Cleo I send my love. And of course to you too Lewis."
"I will do. Thanks so much. We love you Rikki."
"Bye" she said, hoping the sadness in her voice doesn't show.
"Bye" Lewis whispered back, and hung up.

Rikki threw her phone on the bed, with such force that it bounced right off. She couldn't deal with this anymore.

Authors note:
I'm so sorry. This was painful to write but this is where it was going from the start, I'm afraid.
If you're still here, thank you so much. (I'll try posting chapters more frequently)
Love you,
Ems