Chapter 6

Emma

Emma woke up at 11 am, which is strange if you know Emma. She's always up by 8, even on weekends. Though to be honest, work has been crazy lately and she's been running on caffeine and her determination to be the best of the best at her job. The time just clicked in her mind. Shit. She's meeting Rikki at 7 for dinner and she had so much planned for today. Emma jumps out of bed and quickly turns the shower on. She scrambles out of her pjs and the cold water is quick to wake her up.
When she steps out of the shower, she has her thoughts collected and knows what she's going to wear. She also brainstormed a couple of conversation starters while shaving her legs. You can never be too prepared. Emma put on her favourite light blue summer dress and after a few finishing touches of makeup and jewellery, she slipped into her white strappy sandals and was off.

She first visited her old house, then the swimming baths where she trained for years, then the old Juice Net Café, which was now converted into a yoga studio. She walked around for ages, even went to an art gallery and spontaneously stopped by her favourite bakery where they always got ice cream with Elliott when he was little.

When she got to the small italian restaurant, she was five minutes early. As she walked inside she was approached by a waiter straight away. "Can I help you miss?" he asked in a polite tone. "I have a reservation under the name Chadwick." He started typing on a tablet and soon looked up at Emma. "This way please miss." He lead Emma to a table in the back, just next to a bright window. There was a woman with light blonde curly hair sitting with her back facing Emma at the table. A black leather jacket hung on the back of the chair. That can only be Rikki. Emma's heart started beating faster and faster. "This is your table, miss" The waiter gestured towards the seat opposite of the woman. To this, Rikki turned her head, suddenly aware that she has company. Her ribbon blue eyes stared at Emma, looking her up and down, widened as if speechless. She quickly stood up to greet her and almost stumbled over her chair.
"Hi" she said. "Uh Em, hi" and she went in for an awkward half arm hug. "Hey Rikki. Long time no see" Emma said with a nervous chuckle. "Yeah, uhm sit down Rikki pointed awkwardly at the chair. They both sat down and Emma picked up a menu. " Can I get the ladies anything?" said the waiter. They both jumped a little, seemingly forgetting that the waiter was standing there the whole time.
"Yes, I'd like a still water with a slice of lemon and ice, please" said Emma robotically. This was always her drink order. " And I would like a diet coke, please" Rikki added. The waiter quickly wrote this down and disappeared from the table leaving the two of them alone. " So how long have you been here? I didn't mean to keep you waiting." Emma was used to being the one who arrives first and found it weird that Rikki got here earlier. "Oh I arrived about two minutes before you did. Don't worry. I just wanted to be on time."
"Well I never thought I would hear Rikki Chadwick say such thing." Emma said, teasing Rikki with a playful smile.
"There's a lot you have to learn about me, Em. I'm a whole new person." Rikki replied with a cheeky grin. "You're such a mystery, Chadwick." Emma said mockingly.