Chapter 10

Rikki

Rikki slammed the front door behind her.
"Hello to you too" her dad said looking up from his morning newspaper.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to shut it that hard." This of course was a lie. Rikki felt quite frustrated and took it out on the door.
"I know it's not really any of my business, but why didn't you come home last night?"
Rikki suddenly felt quite warm. She was definitely blushing.
"Uhm I got a bit drunk and didn't want to drive the bike home so I slept with Emma. I mean- no, no, not that. I slept in the same bed as Emma... uhm that's what I meant."
"Okay kid, I was just wondering. No biggie." He was looking at Rikki suspiciously.
"It was nice catching up... and stuff." Rikki said, looking at the floor.
"You know you can't fool your old man. I remember the way you would always look at her. Like she was the most important person in the room. I think I knew before you did, eh? Your hyperfixation on Avril Lavigne was a big giveaway." They both started laughing at this.
"So do you think I'll be seeing Emma around?" Rikki's dad asked this carefully, not wanting to push the conversation too far.
"Unfortunately not." Rikki was hoping she didn't look too disappointed.
"She's going back home. Duty calls, I guess."
Rikki thought best to end the conversation here. Her dad looked at her with a sympathetic smile, not knowing what to say to this.
"I'll let you get back to your paper. I've gotta shower and get to work in about an hour, so..."
"Of course, kid. Go." He made a playful shooing gesture.
Rikki stripped herself of yesterdays clothes and got in the shower. She turned the water to the hottest setting, but it still didn't seem warm enough. The water could never be as comforting as Emma's soft embrace.
Maybe if I stand here long enough, I'll disappear down the drain.

Authors note
So I know that they're supposed to turn into mermaids 10 seconds after water touches them, but I decided to ignore that. Please don't come for me lol.
Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's very short, but don't worry I'll be posting more, I'm definitely not abandoning this fic.
Love you,
Ems