Chapter 9

Emma

Light shines through the curtains as Emma opens her eyes stretching and yawning. She suddenly becomes increasingly aware that she has no clothes on and that the other side of the bed is cold and empty. She sits up with the duvet cover wrapped around her and scans the room. No sign of Rikki. Emma's dress is neatly folded and placed carefully on the armchair. Since when is Rikki Chadwick a morning person? She blinked a couple of times and started to collect her thoughts. What happened last night? More importantly how? To be honest deep inside she knew this was overdue. She's been pining after Rikki since she was sixteen. They've had some heated make-out sessions, but they never quite got as far as last night. Emma wasn't comfortable with her identity yet, everything was messy and confusing.
Emma was starting to question if the whole night happened, when the click of the keycard signalled Rikki's arrival.
There in the flesh, puffy morning face and two brown paper cups.
"Hi."- Rikki smiled shyly.
"Good morning."- Emma replied, not quite sure what to say.
"I brought coffee."- Rikki made a gesture with her hands which were holding the paper cups.
"To specify, I brought you green tea with honey, because I know you prefer that over coffee... if you still do."-she placed the cup on the bedside table awkwardly.
"Thank you, I do. I still love green tea."- Emma took the plastic lid off the cup and inhaled the aroma. Rikki sat at the end of the bed and awkwardly slurped her coffee.
"So are we going to talk about last night or...? "
Rikki trailed off.
"Yes, right." Emma was panicking internally.
What would she say? Did Rikki intend this to be a one time thing? Maybe Rikki was just scared to reject her. It's best if she acts cool about it.
"I wasn't sure if you-" Rikki started but was quickly cut off by Emma.
"Listen, my flight back to Sydney is tomorrow, and I don't really have time for complicated long-distance stuff and emotions, so maybe we should just think of this as a nice memory, something that inevitably had to happen but now it's out of our systems and we can just continue to be friends who meet once in a while." Emma said this sentence in a breath. She did mean most of it, apart from the friendship part. She wanted to be more that friends with Rikki of course, but it was too much for her right now.
Rikki's expression was blank. Her throat bobbed as she swallowed.
"Of course, I completely get that."
There was a tense silence, filled with so many emotions that the air in the hotel room felt heavier.
"Well, I guess I should get going then, with this Rikki picked up her leather jacket from the chair, glanced at Emma with a fleeting smile and went to the door. She looked back and said "Bye Ems" with a whisper.
Before Emma could reply, Rikki was out of the room, leaving only an echo of her voice in Emma's ear and the faint smell of citrusy perfume.
Emma felt devastated, confused and relived at the same time. She dropped back to the pillow and buried her face in the sheets, hoping she could hide from the world and her feelings. Of course she couldn't, since the sheets smelled of Rikki too.
What have I gotten myself into.

Authors note:
Ahahah I'm so grateful for everyone who's read it this far.
I'll keep this fic updated so stay tuned
Love you,
Ems