Seventeen

°°••••°°°°••••°°°°••••°°

Cordelia moved forward as her footsteps echoed through the dimly lit chamber. Towering pioneers which had serpents carved in them seemed to move with each step. She tightened her grip on her wand which was drawn out in case something were to attack them.

The green glow hich the room had only got darker as they moved forward while they held their breathes as a huge statue came into view as they drew on lavel to the last pair of pillars.

Cordelia sucked in a breathe.

"Salazar Slytherin."

The grand statue was of no other than the late Salazar Slytherin. And between the feet of the statue laid a small, robe cladded figure with fiery red hair.

Harry looked beside him only to see Cordelia staring at something with a calm face.

He followed her gaze only to gasp.

"Ginny!" Harry muttered, sprinting to her and dropping to his knees. "Ginny - don't be dead - please don't be dead -" He flung his wand aside, grabbed Ginny's shoulders, and turned her over. Her face was white as marble, and as cold, yet her eyes were closed.

Cordelia followed.

"Ginny, please wake up," Harry muttered desperately, shaking her. Ginny's head lolled hopelessly from side to side while Cordelia watched with an unreadable calmness on her face.

"She won't wake," said a soft voice and Cordelia smirked.

Harry jumped and spun around on his knees.

A tall, black-haired boy was leaning against the nearest pillar, watching. He was strangely blurred around the edges, as though Harry were looking at him through a misted window. But there was no mistaking him.

"Tom - Tom Riddle?"

Riddle nodded, not taking his eyes off Harry's face.

"What d'you mean, she won't wake?" Harry said desperately. "She's not - she's not -?"

"She's still alive," said Riddle. "But only just."

Harry then asked him a question which only helped in widening Cordelia's smirk.

"Are you a ghost?"

Harry expected an answer from Tom but when Cordelia answered in her normal bored tone, he looked at her startled.

"A memory," she said, "Preserved in a diary for fifty years."

Tome chuckled and looked at her in amusement which only grew when he saw her poker face and pointed toward the floor near the statue's giant toes. Lying open there was the little black diary Harry had found in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom and for a second, Harry wondered how it had got there - but there were more pressing matters to deal with.