Two Broken Hearts

"I'm sorry I was asking so many questions last night." Pen apologized to Eret. "That wasn't my place. You need your privacy with Astrid."

"No, no it's fine. I should have told you before now-you know. I shouldn't have let you figure it out yourself." Eret replied.

"Yeeeeeeeah." Pen scratched her head, admitting he was right.

———————————————————————————-.

Incredibly, Pen had nothing to do. She just walked around the village until she spotted a small wooden bench. She sat down and starred into space. She watched people going on with their lives. They all had something to do. Somewhere to go. Pen didn't. At this time she would usually be doing something with Eret. But of course he was...occupied.

Pen spotted Astrid and Eret walking to the Great Hall. Pen sighed and slouched down on the bench. A few moments later, another sigh was heard beside her and someone sat next to her.

"Hey Pen," Hiccup greeted with sorrow in his voice.

"Hey Hiccup,"

The two starred at the couple in front of them as they laughed and talked. It was clear that Hiccup missed Astrid.

"Look at them," Pen said. "They're so...happy together."

"Yeah....they are."

"You know, Astrid left you for him." Hiccup looked at Pen. "Please don't be mad at Eret. Astrid was the one who asked. He just said yes." Pen explained.

Hiccup looked back. "Where did I go wrong? We've been together for five years. What did I do?"

"You didn't do anything, Hiccup. It's Astrid's fault."

"But still...why?"

"I don't know." Pen looked at Hiccup and smiled. "But she'll come back."

"What makes you think that?" Hiccup scoffed.

"Because," Pen glanced back at the couple as Astrid kissed Eret. "She loves you." Pen said. "She just doesn't see that yet."

"...Don't you miss Eret?"

Her smile faded. "Yeah," She replied. "Yeah, I do...but he's happy now...I think. And that's all that I want for him; to be happy. That's what friends are supposed to do...right?"

Hiccup looked over at Pen. She was close to tears and it was clear that there was something more to her words. "You have feelings for him...don't you?"

She sniffled and whipped her eyes with her sleeve. "No."

"Pen, its ok to like your friend. Why don't admit it?"

"Because," Pen said. "Who could ever love a monster?" And with that she got up and walked away in tears.

———————————————————-.

That night at The Great Hall, Pen sat two tables away from Eret and Astrid. She wasn't to hungry. She just came there to mope.

Hiccup found her and sat across from her at the table.

"Hi," Pen said.

"Hey," Hiccup looked behind him at Astrid. "So, I was thinking, you know to take our minds off it, we could hang out some time. I mean-two broken hearts-we could talk. Plus, I really don't know much about you anyway."

"Yeah...that-that would be great. I think we could become really great friends."

"Thank you."

—————————————————.

"...So she was screaming, I'm trying to control Toothless, he's not listening-it was just a total atrocity!" Hiccup told Pen about his "romantic flight" with Astrid.

They were telling each other about their pasts with Eret or Astrid in the Great Hall after everyone had left. They thought it was better to look at situations from the past that were funny.

"Are you kidding?!" Pen laughed. "I thought you were the "dragon master"."

"Not five years ago."

"I can tell."

"Hey, I was just learning. I didn't know Toothless was going to try to throw Astrid off his back."

"Yeah, I remember this one time-Eret set up a trap then forgot it was there and he walked right into it! He stayed up in a tree in a net for three hours till I finally found him and let him go! Oh my gods I laughed so hard!"

"I can see why!" Hiccup laughed with her.

Once Pen stopped laughing, she looked at her water. "This is good."

"Yeah," Hiccup raised his mug. "To the broken hearted!"

"Well get through it together, Hiccup!"

They bumped their mug and took a sip of water.

"Me and Hiccup; the two broken hearts. Who knew?"

——————————————————-.

It was late. By the time Pen got home, Eret was already asleep. Pen quickly got ready to go to bed and climbed under the covers.

"Eret," She thought. "I miss you even though," She turned over to see her friend sleeping. "You're right here."