Dee

Janice went into what I call a depressive coma. She didn't eat or drink. She refused to speak, and she seemed to be somehow looking past you when she looked at you. No one knew why. We all thought she moved past the depressive state of the baby's death. Markus mentioned something might have triggered at the dinner with his parents, but he doesn't know what.

That's why I'm here. It's my job to figure it out because she won't even look at Markus, but she looks at me. So from that, I know it's about the baby.

So I sit on the edge of her bed, rubbing her back and aimlessly talking. Telling her everything is ok. I told her she could talk to me about whatever it was. Or just about anything in the world, hoping it will get her to talk.

It had been about a week, and she hadn't spoken. I try to make sure I am here whenever I can be. When I'm not,  Markus' mother shows up to comfort her, which usually sends Jan into a crying fit. I don't know what it is about that woman, but I don't like her. Or it could be the many times she has blatantly disrespected my friend, but who's counting.

~~

After another week, I would catch her writing, but she would never let me read it, and I could never find it once she got a chance to hide whatever it was. She'd also called ok with his mother being around again. His mother would do nothing but talk to her. She would chat about Marku, their relationship, and sometimes about the baby. I usually stopped her once the subject of the baby came up; definitely not the time.

~~

After another week, things seemed to go back to normal. Jan was obviously not upbeat or anything, but she was up and around taking care of household chores, writing her novel again, and having lunches with Mrs. Turner.

The last one weirded me out; they did not get along, but now they are buddies suddenly.

I didn't trust it, but Markus suggested maybe it was a good thing. They didn't get along because Mrs. Turner thought Jan had trapped him with the kid, who has obviously been proven wrong since the kid is no longer with us. So maybe he's right. Perhaps she sees that Jan genuinely loves her son and has changed him for the better.

Or maybe she's still a bitter old bitch who wants Jan out of his life for good.