The Media

The rest of the week went on as normal as it could. We both decided that for now, our relationship would be kept away from the media and workplace. Now how he expected that to happen when the media would see me leaving his house every morning, he apparently left up to me since I woke up this morning alone in a brand new house. I don't see how any of this could be kept from the media. Before all this, he was an eligible bachelor for the rich and famous. He spent his time philandering around with women of all ages and pretty much embarrassing his family name. With his father stepping down, I'm sure everyone saw it as an opportunity for Markus to prove himself as more than a childish rich boy with no self-control or responsibilities. But if this got out, it would only prove the opposite. Though he was taking some responsibility for it. He didn't claim I was a liar or some gold-digging hussy who tricked him...yet, still waiting on that to pop up somehow. I was sure it would.

Stuck in my thoughts, I didn't notice Markus join me in the kitchen as I stared off into space as I made breakfast.

"Janice?"....."Janice," it wasn't until I turned to scoop the eggs on a plate that I noticed he was standing there.

I let out a very high-pitched scream and dropped the hot pan onto the floor, "For fucks sake!"

Immediately he gently pushed me out of the way of the falling pan, keeping my dumbass from instinctually reaching for it. "Are you ok? I didn't mean to scare you."

I slapped him as hard as I could on the shoulder, "Then what the hell are you doing sneaking up on me like that?"

"You were the one spacing. I was standing here calling you for five minutes."

"That's an exaggeration," I said as I knelt down and began to pick up the eggs and put them back into the pan, "There is no way I was staring for that long with you saying my name, and I didn't hear you."

"Ok, maybe not that long, but you were for a while," He bent down to help me scoop up the eggs, "Really, are you ok?"

I nodded, "yea, you just startled me, that's all."

"Not that, I mean just with everything?"

I nodded again, standing up and putting the pan on the counter. "Yes, everything is fine."

Markus finally took my 'yes' for an answer after asking me about three more times. It's like he didn't believe me. To be fair, I was lying, but it wasn't something he needed to worry about right now. I really have to stop doing that.

"So, I was thinking about the whole 'keeping out of the media's thing. I don't know if that's exactly possible."

"What do you mean?" I asked, tossing the floor eggs into the garbage.

"Well, you moved into my house. Which is 90% of the time riddled with paparazzi. There isn't exactly a way for you to hide from them on the way to work."

"What about your reputation? I thought that was important."

"That's not why I didn't want the media to know," he said, but of course, I didn't believe him, and apparently my face showed I didn't, "Well, not the only reason. I also just didn't want you to have to deal with it right now."

I guess that sort of makes sense, "Eventually, I will have to. Better sooner than later, don't you think?"

He was silent for a few minutes, thinking, I suppose, but then agreed I was right. Of course, I was. If we had waited, the media would have twisted it to be worse than what it is, which they already do.

With that settled, I got ready for work, and we left together.

I don't know what I was expecting, but there were paparazzi outside his gate snapping pictures. We didn't rush out like you would think most celebrities would do, but he did try and help block the flashes from the cameras.