Epilogue

1 Year Later

After that day, I returned the money to Margaret Turner through her husband, who was obviously unhappy with the situation. He understood Markus' and my decision to stay away from her, and he was extremely thankful to me for not deciding to press charges. 

Markus made the decision also, for us to go away for a week or so. He wanted to let the energy from all of this die down and give us a chance to reconnect. I agreed, so we went to Paris for three weeks. It was magical and a much-needed break for us both. I had spent so much time bottled up from fighting with his mother that Markus and I hadn't gotten to grow our relationship. Our relationship began because of a baby and his wanting to do the right thing. Now we are kindling our love for each other. It was an amazing place to be. 

We also decided that now was not the time to have a baby. It never was, so we are leaving our baby girl with whoever adopted her. Markus searched the information about the couple who adopted her from the hospital. Technically it was legal since we are not coming forward with what the doctor did, but the couple is in their 30s like us and were having trouble having kids of their own. They seem so loving and responsible; they have thriving careers and spend much time together as a family. It would be cruel to take her away from them after months with the only child they know and to take a child from the only parents they've known. It just seemed wrong to be that selfish.

After Paris, Markus went back to work, and I finished my novel. It was fast-tracked to publishing, and now I am on a book tour. I am so grateful Markus was able to help me with all of this even though he couldn't join me on tour.

This was part of writing I did not look forward to; I loved fans of my book, but being the center of everything is a little weird. I just wanted to get my work out there, and here I am, practically a celebrity in the book world.

As I am signing books, I hear my cell phone ring. I glance at my assistant, who answers it and mumbles, "Mr. Turner, yes, she's right here, but-" I smile and excuse myself to the fans.

I gently take the phone from her. "It's ok, Lily; I know he can be difficult," I said loud enough to be sure he heard it from the other end.

I put the phone to my ear after finding a private section of the small bookstore we were in, "Mr. Turner," I mimicked mockingly at him, knowing it would catch him off guard. I hadn't called him that in so long that it felt weird to do it even while mocking him.

"I was checking on you. How is the tour going?" He said, chuckling at my childish attempt to fluster him.

"It's going good; we have a few more cities, then I'll be back home." I missed him, and I know he missed me. I know this because he has called at almost every stop on our book tour since the fifth stop, and there were ten, so it was pretty obvious he missed me.

"That's good. I am proud of you. The book is great. Even my father says so, and he's read hundreds of books."

I was ecstatic when I heard what  Mr. Turner thought of my book. His opinion is one of the few I hold dear to my heart. He has been an idol to me, and even being in his vicinity, let alone dating his son and him wanting to read my book, is a miracle.

"Ok, well, I'll let you get back to it," He said after a short silence, "I love you; I'll see you when you get back."

"I love you too."