Disastrous Dinner

We followed Mrs. Turner inside; she leads us to a sitting room after a maid took our coats and my purse. I would have sat next to Markus if she hadn't beat me to it...well, she practically pulled him to sit next to her. This left me to sit in an armchair by myself.

I half-listened to their conversation, and half observed the hustle and bustle of the staff. One of the maids was in and out of the room with drinks and finger foods barely touched by anyone.

Markus and his mother, mostly his mother, talked about how they should really have lunch more often, how she doesn't see him much anymore, and how business was going. That got Markus talking. He brought up many new authors he was planning on signing and the big investor who was on the fence about investing after his dad left the company. He even brought up how I helped with that investor and an aspiring writer, which she didn't seem happy about, seeing as how she glared at me.

"I'm sure you handled it fine, darling, on your own." She commented after giving me the glare. He didn't respond, which I don't blame him. It seemed like if he did, she would spin it somehow to make it seem like he did it himself. I was starting to get the impression that his mother thought he was a saint.

"Dinner, Mrs." One of the maids came and announced before leading us to the dining room. Markus' father had already been sitting at the head of the table and stood as soon as we entered and made his way around the table.

He reached his wife and kissed her on the cheek. A tender kiss I didn't expect, honestly. Then he reached out for Markus' hand and shook it with a smile, "I heard you got an investor. Good job."

"I did, but if it weren't for Janice stepping in, I don't think the deal would have happened," Markus responded, nodding his head towards me.

"Smart and beautiful," He reached for my hand, and I shook it, "It's nice to see you again, Janice. I'm sorry to not have the opportunity to have worked with you."

"I feel the same, Sir. You are one of the reasons I am so passionate about writing."

He chuckled, "Please, call me Greg. It's nice to meet a fan."

"Of course. I loved reading your books growing up. Your latest collection is one of my favorite. I've been reading them since I wa-"

"Well, now that everyone has been acquainted. Let's sit for dinner."

"Since I was a kid." I finished awkwardly as she brushed past everyone to find her seat.

I glanced at Markus, who looked slightly annoyed but didn't bother saying anything. He led me to the opposite side of his mother's table and pulled out the chair next to his dad. I assume so that we could talk writing, but I was also sitting across from his mother.

Dinner was brought out on trays by the maids and was sat on the table; steaks, roasted potatoes, sauteed green beans.  It all smelled so good, but my pregnant nose did not like the steak part. The plates began getting passed around after the maids left the room. I took some potatoes and green beans, but when Mrs. Turner offered me the steak, I declined, "No, thank you. It isn't very appealing to the baby, apparently."

"Oh. I'm sorry I would have made something else if I had known," she said, passing the plate to her husband, "I'll have Jacob make you a different protein."

It was the nicest she'd been to me since I got here, "No, really, it's fine. I don't want to be a bother."

"Nonsense, you are a pregnant woman. You need a proper diet." She said and called for the cook. Once he arrived, we discussed possible options and settled on salmon. Weird choice, but it was the only thing that didn't make me want to hurl.

From there, the conversation turned into my pregnancy cravings and how things were for her when she was pregnant with Markus. A lot of it I was also experiencing as well. It felt like things were heading in a great direction with her and me, but I couldn't shake the feeling something was off with her still.

The rest of the dinner went on without a hitch, and Greg and I got caught up discussing books and writing. He seemed very interested in the novel concept I was writing and offered to read it with notes. Of course, I was ecstatic. My hero was offering to read my fucking book!

As our talk deepened, Markus was forced to go off with his mother and talk about something in the other room. I guess hearing about the writing world for so long, you get tired of listening after a while.

We had just started discussing the authors Markus was planning signing when Markus rushed in, "Janice. Let's go."

"But we were just talking ab-"

"Janice, please. I'm ready to go." He said gently but firmly, pulling me out of the chair.

"Markus, please don't go. I just want you to be prepared." Mrs. Turner walked in behind him. She looked distressed and seemed to be giving me a glare again.

"What's going on?"

Markus called for our coats and my purse.

"He's acting ridiculous, Greg. Talk to him!"

"Ridiculous?! Are you kidding me?"

Our coats were handed off to him, and he helped me put mine on.

"Yes, I was merely saying.." she paused and glanced between Markus and me.

"Saying what, Margaret?" Greg stepped in, "What were you saying?"

She began fidgeting like she was too uncomfortable to say it, "For all, we know she could have gotten pregnant on purpose! Or it's possible not even his child. She was dating someone else when she found out!"

I could feel the heat rising in my face and over my ears, my vision began blurring, and their voices got dimmer.

I expected this. I knew someone would say it. So why did it feel like I got punched in the gut?

I had a feeling when we got here she wouldn't like me, but I didn't expect it to be his mother who would accuse me of doing something like that. But looking back, why wouldn't she? He was her only child. Her baby boy. Of course, she would be protective of him and his future. At the same time, she had to have known the kind of man he was before taking over the company. He slept around a lot. Like A LOT. It was always all over the tabloids. Did she just not believe them?

"Janice, let's go. I'm tired of listening to this."

With that, we left, his mother following us trying to get him to stay and talk. Greg trying to get her to let him be and cool down.

We got to the car, and he sped off.

"I'm so sorry."

We had driven at least 20 minutes in silence.

"Don't apologize.  I expected it to come up."

The rest of the ride was quiet, but his hand never left mine. Like he was trying to comfort me.

Once home, we went our separate ways in the house but not after he'd apologized again. This time I just smiled and nodded. I went to shower and looked in the mirror. I hadn't even realized I had started crying until just then. My face was so red and puffy and wet. I locked the door and ran the bath while dialing Dee.

"She said what!!? Who the hell does she think she is?"

"Dee, I told you someone would say it. I was prepared...sort of."

"I know, but it's still fucked to say. Do you think he has doubts?"

That I didn't think about. Would her words stick with him the longer this goes on. Will he start looking for an excuse to escape the responsibility? He seemed pretty angry about it but was it because she said it or because he thinks there's some truth to what she said?

"We'll see, I guess."