Breakthrough

I had been getting close with Markus' mother. Mostly to get closer to her, get on her good since. Kind of a "Keep your enemies close" kind of thing. I know she had something to do with my baby disappearing, but I need to find the proof before telling anyone.

Dee would believe me but she would get so mad that Markus wouldn't she'd cause a fight that I don't need right now. I need evidence and this is the only way.

We had been going on 'lunch dates', as she called them when she tells Markus about them. I don't know if she's becoming more comfortable with me or if she thinks I've lost it in the head so much I'm easily manipulated enough now to be with her son. Either way it's beneficial to me.  She's been less on guard and even answers and makes phone calls in front of me, not all but most.

During the weeks after remembering what happened I knew Mrs. Turner had something to do with my baby being 'dead'. I just needed time to plan. The second week I did nothing but call the hospital for answers. I talked to nurses and doctors but none who was there that day until one day I finally got a call from my nurse that day. She was with me from the time I was admitted until the time I was discharged.

She told me everything that happened. About the surgery to remove the baby to the surgery to save her and the surgery to save me. She was under the impression I was always prepared to give the baby up in the beginning. It wasn't until the doctor told us the baby was dead, that she questioned him. The doctor basically told her to mind her business and do her job, so she did until now. She watched over my baby, who was labeled a Jane Doe and left in the nursery until a social worker came to get her.

After our talk the nurse gave me the doctor's name and asked I not mention her name in my complaint to the hospital board. I promised her I would not.

So since then I've been getting closer to Mrs.Turner in order to find the truth. So far she hasn't let anything slip but, she will. I have never been so sure of anything in my life.

A part of me blames myself for not taking her up on her offer to disappear, if only I had taken the money, my baby girl would still be here. I know most would say it was all her fault. It was all the fault of a woman who hated me without reason and offered money to me to protect her son from his own mistakes. How many women were there? How many mom's had she bribed to leave him and take his children with them?

~~~~~

Today we were meant to have lunch together, another bonding session. I'm not sure what she gains from pretending to bond with me but it seems to be working in both of our favor to Markus. He seems so happy that we are finally getting along.

I arrived and greeted the maid who opened the door, "Mrs. Turner is in the study.She will be out in a moment."

I nodded and was left in the corridor alone. During this time, I took the opportunity to explore Markus' childhood home. although we had been bonding and spending more time together, I have never had the opportunity to tour this house without the presence of Mrs. Turner.

The house has too many rooms to count and somehow I had managed to fins Markus' old room. It seems to have bee left the same as he may have left it going into college, sports posters on the walls, a picture of his mother on the desk as well as a picture of who I would assume to e a high school sweetheart. The bed would have even been a mess if there was no maid. I sat at his desk and looked through the drawers, curious to see what would still be there. A few of them were empty but in the top were copies of essays he had written all scribbled on with red pen and notes from a teacher making notes on his grammar and facts presented in the essays. I would have to ay it is interesting to see a glimpse of who he used to be, even academically.

Eventually bored of his old room I went back to exploring until I came across Mrs. Turners voice. she sounded angry, more angry than normal. I stood outside the door and listened,

"I don't care that Janice is asking questions. I paid you already to keep quiet so you better figure out a way to keep that nurse quiet or I will have your license."

I couldn't hear who she was talking to which told me she was on the phone,

"I will not pay you more! That wasn't a part of the deal!"

What deal?

"You listen to me. You are the doctor here. No one will believe I had anything to do with this. You are the doctor who was on her case. You are the doctor who delivered this child. You are also the doctor who has a record of taking babies from their mothers and lying about their wellbeing for financial gain. You must know I have record of all of this and it is all against you. I have the proof, you have no proof against me. If you even think of letting any of this slip to my husband or Markus, I will not hesitate to anonymously send this evidence to the authorities."

I was studded, the doctor had done this before to other women. She let him do this to me. To her own son. I still had no proof, but the doctor has to have proof of a payment from her. There has to be a paper trail or is Mrs. Turner too seasoned in this type of offense to make that mistake.

"Good, I'm glad we have come to an agreement. Figure it out and stop calling me."

She ended the call and I rushed down the hall to seem as if I had just entered the corridor as she walked out the room.

"Janice! I had no idea you arrived, thee maid hadn't informed me.'

I smiled, "It's alright I have just been exploring. I had a chance to see Markus' old room. I'm sure it looks just the same as before he went to college."

She nodded "Yes, I've left it the same. He was such a responsible young man at the time. Sometimes I like to go there and time travel in a way."

"I'm sure it's hard for a mother to let go of her child. It must have been heartbreaking for you when he went to college."

She stared at me for a moment, "Yes it was very sad. I hadn't done anything else with my life except take care of Markus. It was hard to let him go."

I can understand that feeling, perhaps not in the terms of a mother but as the child. Having been around the same people for all of your life, your parents, then suddenly being expected to go off to college alone and with no supervision can be hard and scary. While some college students use this new found freedom to explore who they are and live life by no rules, others like myself use this time to panic. I went to college missing my parents and still living by hose rules. I imagine Markus was the former of the two.

"It's hard r me to imagine, not being a mother and all." I said hoping to get a reaction from her.

She looked stunned but she didn't let it show for long, "You will one day dear. Let's get you something to eat."