Surprise

"Good Morning Janice."

"Good Morning Mr. Turner."

That was pretty much our conversation for the past month. If it wasn't a greeting or about work, we didn't talk. For the first few days, he tried to make conversation, but I would completely ignore him. I felt bad, but I couldn't acknowledge him because I feared it would turn into something more than I needed our relationship to be. Even a few days in, he tried to tell me to call him Markus. He felt it was awkward for me to call him Mr. Turner since we've slept together, but I didn't care; I was going to be as professional as possible.

I answered the phones, transferred them to his office phone. I made excuses for him not to take calls, listened to his mother bitch at me because he never went to lunch with her. One of these days, I will scream at that woman and tell her the truth so she will stop acting like she doesn't know her son is lying. But it isn't my place, and I would never tell someone for wanting to spend time with their son.

My personal life was great. I had dinner with Julien almost every Saturday, and it was amazing. He's the sweetest guy; he even brings me lunch every day, and sometimes I have time to eat with him. I really like Julien, but Markus gives him a death stare every time he comes by the office. He doesn't hide that he hated Julien. Julien can tell, and he thinks Markus has feelings for me, but I tell him he doesn't. I don't know if he does or not, but he has a funny way of showing it if he does.

Today I ended up eating lunch on my own, at my desk. Julien convinced me to try every sandwich on the local deli's menu; today was a tuna melt. I also have salt & vinegar chips with a soda; Dr. Pepper is my favorite.

I work and eat so I can get things done. Plus, Markus always has me busy with deadlines; even though I'm just a secretary, I guess everyone does a little more than what their job requires.

Our new dynamic was shifting the office atmosphere too, which seemed to make others uncomfortable. I tried not to be cold towards him, but it seemed to be the only thing to get him to understand that our relationship would be strictly business and nothing more.

I'm too afraid to go any further than that. After that night, I'm scared of my feelings towards him. He seems to be, too, but even worse. I hadn't told Julien about that night; I don't know what he would say. How would I even bring that up?

'Hey, by the way, I fucked my boss the same night we made out in an elevator.'

Even thinking about it makes me feel dirty. I slept with one man not, but five minutes after being dropped off by another whole I make out with beforehand. I sound like a slut who can't keep her pants on. I also sound like a slut who sleeps with her boss to get ahead.

******

I don't know if it was the tuna or what, but I felt the strong nerve to throw up about an hour after eating lunch. I was nauseous, and I tried to ignore it for a few minutes thinking maybe I just needed water, I don't know. That didn't work; I ended up rushing to the restroom and puking my guts out along with my lunch. As soon as nausea came, it left. I didn't think it was strange maybe I just got bad tuna. I sat back at my desk and kept working. A fresh of my coworkers asked if I was OK, and I assured them it was probably my bad lunch not sitting well in my stomach. It wasn't until half an hour later, when I rushed back to the restroom to puke again, that I began to think there was something wrong. Food poisoning, maybe? Was it flu season?

I don't recall ever being nauseous a day in my life except for the first time I got super drunk, but I wasn't sick even then.

"Mr. Turner...I, um, don't feel so good. I'm going to go to the hospital. I think I had some bad tuna or something." I poked my head into his office. He didn't look up from his work and nodded, so I left.

I went straight to the hospital by cab and called Dee to come to get me when I was done. I wasn't going to pay for a taxi again.

I spent hours in the emergency room, back and forth from the bathroom before I was seen, and even then, it took a while to get my results.

"Miss. Harrison," he paused, glancing through what I'm guessing were my test results, "Miss. Harrison, congratulations. You are two months pregnant."

Everything went silent. I could see his lips moving, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. I was pregnant? Two months? I'd only been with...Markus. The one-night stand. What am I supposed to do? What will Julien say?

"Miss. Harrison?"

"Yes?" I was brought back to reality by a concerned-looking doctor.

"Would you like an ultrasound?"

"Um, no. Thank you, doctor." I hopped off the table and left the room.