Meeting the Parents

Life went on as normal as possible, considering the circumstance. Dee called me almost every day to check on me, make sure Markus was treating me well.

He was. He made me breakfast 4 times out of the week. The other days he was at the office before me. He made sure I ate all of the food groups and didn't overwork, which was starting to get annoying but at least he wasn't dismissing the baby or me.

He was as much of a gentleman as a 'former'-playboy can. I don't know if this is a permanent change. Like me being pregnant with his kid finally hit a cord with him to stop fucking everything that moved, but it seemed to be. From what I researched, after my first day, about him, he never had many relationships. The few girls he did actually date didn't last more than a few months. Who's to say it will be different this time.

I'm alerting the tabloids and magazines seen with him leaving his house and shopping for baby stuff. Everyone at the office is sure to know now, though they wouldn't dare say anything. At least not to him. I've gotten some not-so-nice glares from many women in the building, so I'm sure there are rumors. I just try my best to ignore the whispers and focus on my work and writing.

Today is the day I'm supposed to meet his parents, officially. I met his father on my first day but only briefly and his mother. I already have a feeling won't like me. I've lied to her about her son not wanting to have lunch with her over a dozen times. So much so that she doesn't even bother calling as often. She has to know that I only do it because he tells me to, but it won't help that I'm pregnant with his kid and living with her only son. That's an awesome start to that relationship.

"Hello, Markus Turner's office how can I help you?"

"Hello, is this Ms. Harrison?" A man's voice responded. Why was he asking for me? And how did he know my name?

"Yes, how can I assist you?"

"I was wondering if you were interested in making a statement about Markus...or perhaps Julian, your ex?"

I was caught off guard. Who is this person?! How did he know about Julian?

"Who is this?"

"Oh! I am so sorry. My name is Adam from The New York Tribune.  I write for the gossip column. You know celebrities, billionaires, the dirty deets. That sort of thing."

"Hang up, Janice."

Without even looking up at Markus, I did as I was told. "He knew my name. He knew about Julian."

"I know, it's their job. I'm sorry, but it will only get worse from here."

"You don't have to be sorry. You didn't make him call."

"No, but I put you out there. It's partly my fault."

I shook my head, "No, it isn't," I looked up at him, "at some point, I would have ended up in some tabloid after being seen with you. Better sooner than later, I guess."

He didn't respond, just gave me a weak smile, and went back to his office.

I looked around the office just to see everyone staring. As soon as I looked up, though, they all went back to work. Maybe one of them called that gossip writer. Some people here knew about Jamie; he came here every day to have lunch with me. I can understand the gossiping at a workplace as annoying and unprofessional. I can still understand it. I'm sure they think I got this job by sleeping with him or that I am still sleeping with him to get something else.

Thankfully, I didn't get another call from any gossip columnist, but it still bothered me all day. I wasn't able to get it out of my head. When we were finally able to leave the office, not many people were left. I was glad about that, and there weren't any cameras waiting for us.

We got to the house, and we both immediately went to take showers and change clothes. We were both nervous about me meeting his parents. Because he can't help feeling like he disappointed his dad again by acting irresponsibly even though he really was trying to change this time. I was nervous for obvious reasons. I work for my baby daddy, who is a billionaire and runs a very successful company. For all, I know they could think the worst of me.

We finished getting dressed. He helped me zip up my dress as I put on earrings to match my necklace. "You'll be fine."

I turned toward him, "How do you know? Your mother already has bad taste in her mouth towards me. I can imagine what she thinks now."

"Well, that's my fault, to be fair, and also, she can be a little judgmental, but I won't let her do or say anything horrible to you." I gave him a smile. He wrapped his hand around my waist and lead me to the car. We drove in silence. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, just silence. He kept his hand on my thigh; I didn't move it. It gave me comfort. In the past few weeks, we have slowly gotten closer. I haven't forgotten what has been said or done between us. Still, he was mature enough to take responsibility for the baby, even if it meant moving my things into his house without my permission.

"We're here." He parked in front of a large house, bigger than his at least. It looked like it came out of a movie almost. He got out of the car and crossed the front, and opened my door. I stepped out, but before he closed the door, the front door opened.

"Markus, darling!" His mother came down the stairs and gave him a hug. "I am so glad you decided to have dinner with us."

He put on a fake smile and hugged her back, "Mother, this was your idea. Anyway, Mother, This is Janice."

She looked at me, "Yes, we've met. Now come in so we can eat."