2

-major warning-

Flashback to a last year.

~tony pov~

I had been knocking on Mias door for a few minutes. She wouldn't come out and I was getting worried.

"Mia. Please. Open the door."

I get no answer and use Jarvis to call for Steve to help me get her out. A few minutes later, Steve comes speed walking down the hall, Nat right beside him.

"She won't open her door. I'm getting worried."

"Mia! Open the door please!" Nat shouts against the door.

We get no answer and Steve attempts the door knob, but it's locked.

"Oh, god." Nat sighs. "Amelia!"

Steve moves Nat out of the way and tries the knob again, moving faster. It hits me hard as to why they just got so scared.

Steve kicks in the door and we all barge in. She isn't in there, but her bathroom light is on with the door cracked. Nat goes first and opens the door slightly.

"Oh my god!"

She opens the door all the way and falls to her knees. I look in and feel my world crashing around me.

Mia sits with her back to the tub. Blood runs down the cuts on her arms. Her eyes are open, but the light in them is gone.

Steve runs to her other side and picks her up. We follow closely behind as we get to the elevator.

I can barely breath. I feel like my life is ending, when, really her life is ending. Right in front of me. I feel frozen, but I keep moving with them.

We get out of the elevator and take her to the med wing. Bruce is there and goes to greet us before he sees what's happening.

Steve sets her on the bed and Bruce rushes to her side. Steve and Nat back up and I fall to the chair beside the bed.

I haven't said a word to them. I can't speak. I wouldn't be able to get any words out.

Bruce works to keep her alive while I just sit there, not doing anything, but watching and waiting. The tears fill my eyes and I let them out.

Soon after, Sam, Thor, and Clint show up. They all look terrified. I can't imagine the look on my face.

Mias eyes are still open. They don't move as her body jerks from the movements. The light is still gone.

I start to believe that this is it. I've lost my little girl. My angel has become an angel.

How could I let this happen?

We could all see it and we didn't do a damn thing. We tried to cheer her up, but that won't bring anyone back from this amount of sadness. We could of done more. I could have done more.

After what feels like an eternity, Bruce gives up and closes her eyes. We all begin to cry and I grab her hand. Nat holds onto Clint.

I begin to sob and pull the chair closer. I lay my head in her hands and hold tightly.

We hear a beep and all look up. Another beep.

Bruce starts to work again and I move my head, still holding to hand. I see her chest begin to move. She's breathing again.

-

Bruce gets her stitched up and Nat puts her in a gown. We come back in the room and I sit back beside her.

I hold her hand to my head, still devastated from what almost and did happen.

Mias breathing is steady and reassuring. Bruce says that she'll be in a coma for a few days.

We all sit around as if we're waiting for her to wake even though we know she won't any time soon.

-

Three days later and I haven't left her room. The others come in and sit with me. They don't even try to drag me out, knowing it won't work.

We're all in here now. Bruce suspects that she might wake soon.

I've been holding her hand the entire time. She squeezes slightly and I immediately stand up.

"Mia."

Her eyes open and I let out a realized sigh, my eyes tearing up all over again.

"Hey, Mia."

She looks at me and stays quiet. Her bottom lip trembles and she puts her hand to her face.

"I'm sorry." She crys.

"No, no. Don't be sorry. Don't ever be sorry."

She shakes her head 'no' and leans up pulling me into a hug. I hold tightly as she sobs into my shoulder.

The others smile and leave the room, heading to the common room.

"I'm so sorry. I couldn't-" she starts and I cut her off.

"No, bubba. Stop. I don't want you to think that you have to apologize. I don't want it."

"But-"

"No, Mia. I'm sorry. I could've done more to help you. I should've done more. But, I didn't. None of us did."

I let go of her and she lays back down. This time, she holds my hand.

"Guess what?" She asks with a straight face.

"What?"

"I saw it. I made it to Heaven."

"Really?"

"Yeah." She crys. "I remember all of it. It was beautiful. The people were young and happy."

"I wish I could have seen it."

"You will."

"We will. Just not today. Not any time soon."

"Okay."

-

Once she is able to get out of bed, I take her IV out and help her stand. I give her one of my shirts and a pair of sweatpants.

She comes out of the room and pulls me into a weak, but strong hug.

We walk to the elevator and go to the common room. Mia is immediately attacked by Nat in her arms.

Mia doesn't even try the fake smile. She knows theirs no point. She sits down and Nat and I take the seats beside her.

"Hi." She greets weakly.

"Hi."

"I don't know why I'm embarrassed, but I am."

"Try not to be." I tell her. "You have no reason to be."

"Okay." Her eyes water.

She plays with the fabric on the pants, trying to calm down. Her bottom lip trembles, again. I sigh and pull her to my side.

Mia sighs and the tears fall out. She doesn't make eye-contact with anyone. My heart shatters into a million pieces seeing what has happened to my little girl.