Chapter 6

HOPE

I fell asleep during the movie and I don't know how long I've been sleeping, but when I wake up, Zeke isn't next to me. I turn around and see Kate watering some plants in the big window over by the couch.

"Oh, you're awake," she says with a smile.

"How long have I been sleeping?"

"About an hour or so."

"Oh," I say, looking down. I don't want them to think that I'm lazy or something. I just still feel exhausted.

"It's ok. You need to sleep to feel better. Zeke went for a run, but he'll be back soon. Do you want to accompany me in the kitchen while I prepare lunch? There's just the two of us here right now. Richard went for a run too."

I guess Richard is Zeke's dad. So, he runs too? He's very fit for his age. All of them are big and bulky. They must run and workout a lot.

"Ok," I answer. "I just need to use the bathroom first." I walk into the bathroom and do my business and brush my hair again. Having this long, thick and wavy hair, makes me look like a troll when I wake up. Not that I care, but I at least want to look somewhat decent while I'm here.

I walk behind Kate down the stairs, silent like a mouse. I really hope that there's just us here. I don't feel like socializing.

"You can sit down there on the stool while I get us some vegetables," Kate says and rummages around in the fridge.

I sit down on the same barstool I sat on while we ate breakfast. I didn't think about it then since I mostly kept my head down, but I think everything is bigger than normal in here. The counters are a bit higher than normal and I almost have to climb up on the barstool. Zeke's bed is bigger than normal and the bathtub too. I guess they need that when they're so big and tall. Kate is more on the thinner side, but she's also tall, and Evelyn too. But then again, I'm shorter than most people my age. It's a good thing, though. It makes it easier to hide from everyone.

Kate places a cutting board and a knife in front of me, then some vegetables. "Do you mind cutting these up while I peel the potatoes?" she asks, but turns around before I can give her an answer.

"O-ok." I've never been around the kitchen more than necessary since I always grabbed something quick to eat, not wanting to get in the way of mom and dad fighting. I start cutting them up in smaller pieces and Kate is occupied with the potatoes and some kind of meat stew while she hums cheerfully on a song. I wish I was that carefree and happy...and had a mom like her.

When I'm done, I place the knife on the counter beside the cutting board and just sit there watching her. After a while, she turns around.

"I-is this ok?" I ask her.

"That's just perfect," she tells me with a big smile. She takes the vegetables and is about to put them in the stew when the front door opens. Zeke and his dad walk in, wearing just shorts.

Isn't it a little too cold to be out running in just shorts?

Zeke looks at me a little surprised that I'm down here. I can't help but stare at his abs and broad chest...and all the tattoos. He notices me staring and smirks at me. I quickly look down and he walks toward me, stops beside me and suddenly tenses up. He quickly grabs the big knife I used to cut up the vegetables and puts it out of my reach. He gives his mom an angry stare, like he's scolding her through his mind. She puts her hand on her hip and looks like she's scolding him back.

I wasn't going to hurt myself with it. That didn't even cross my mind.

***