Chapter 8

HOPE

I don't mind wearing Zeke's shirts. They're comfortable and smell really nice. The way he said it so sternly made them all stare, and I can't help but blush. Chris and Evelyn are chuckling and Kate is giving me a comforting smile.

We eat up and Kate follows me and Zeke up to his room to draw me a bath while the others clear off the table.

Zeke walks into his closet and gives me one of his t-shirts. "This might be a little more comfortable to sleep in," he says.

"Thank you."

"I'm going to go and get you some leggings from Evelyn. Be right back," Zeke says.

He comes back pretty quickly with leggings and underwear. A little embarrassing, and when I take it from him, I think that I see that flash of red in his eyes again.

I blink a few times. Maybe I need to do an eye exam.

His mom peeks out from the bathroom. "Zeke!" she says sternly.

He looks at her and backs away from me a bit.

"The bath is ready for you," she says to me.

I walk inside the bathroom and Kate closes and locks the door. She sits on the chair in the corner again while I take my bath. The water is so warm that it almost burns, but I'm chilled to the bones, so it just feels good and really relaxing.

"Is there any store in particular you want to go to tomorrow?" she asks me. "We're going to the mall in town."

"I-I don't know." I haven't been to the mall in ages. Mom brought me there once or twice when I was little, but as soon as I managed to buy clothes for myself, she stopped taking me there...or anywhere for that matter. It's too far from our house to walk and I wouldn't feel comfortable there anyway. Too many people.

"It's ok. Let me know when we get there."

I get out from the bath, dry myself off and put the underwear, leggings and Zeke's t-shirt on. It's like a dress on me and goes down to my knees. I pull the shirt up to my nose and smell it. It smells so good. Kate smiles at me while blow-drying my hair, and then she brushes it. I sigh and close my eyes. It feels so good when someone else takes care of my hair. It's relaxing.

"There, all done," she tells me.

"Thank you."

We walk into the bedroom again and Zeke stands in the doorway, leaning against it. "Ryan and Ben are here. They're going to watching a movie. Do you want to come? I'll stay with you here if you want to rest."

"No, I can come," I say, not wanting him to miss out on spending time with his friends. I know that he doesn't want to leave me alone, and his mom surely has other things to do than watch me.

He grabs my hand and we walk to the media room. Chris and Evelyn are also there. They're arguing about which movie to watch. I get shy and walk behind Zeke. He sits us down on the couch behind the others and gives me a blanket.

"You want some popcorn and soda?" Evelyn asks me, turning her head back to us.

I nod and she goes and grabs a big bucket of popcorn from the popcorn machine, and two sodas from the fridge by the wall to the left.

"Thank you," I say quietly when she comes back to us.

"You're welcome," she says, smiling.

They decide on a comedy called 'The F**k-it List'. I haven't watched a movie in ages. I don't know what's new or not, but none of them have seen it. I never watch TV either. I just go to school, study, look out from my window and sleep.