Chapter 28

EVELYN

Oh, I've planned this day for Hope, along with the others, of course. While we're at the salon, the others are preparing the birthday party. Nothing big, as we promised Zeke, but we want her to have what she's been missing for all those years. I even planned what treatments Hope should be getting since I know that she doesn't know exactly what she wants. Zeke should thank me for the waxing.

Wink, wink.

Olivia, Mira and I are talking while I get a facial and Hope is back with mom, getting a wax. Suddenly, we hear her screaming from the back room.

"Aaah! Oh my God that hurt."

We burst out laughing. It hurts like hell, getting a wax. Especially the first time when you're not ready. Hell, it hurts just as much the second, third and twentieth time too.

We hear her trying to hold in another other scream which makes her curse through her teeth instead. I hope she doesn't kill me for this later.

Oh, who am I kidding. It's Hope we're talking about. She wouldn't hurt a fly. Zeke on the other hand...

And just like that, he mind-links me and Mira, "Why is Hope in pain?" he growls angrily.

"Calm down. She's just getting a wax," I say happily.

"Oh!" he says, positively surprised.

"You can thank me later," I say teasingly.

He doesn't say anything more and shuts the link. We burst out laughing again.

After a moment of silence from the back room, we suddenly hear Hope screaming and cursing through her teeth again.

Yep, they've gone to the Brazilian part now.

***

HOPE

It's bad, bad, bad. It hurts like hell.

When she's done with my legs, Margaret holds out some kind of string with a small piece of fabric on it. I look at her confused.

"These are the panties you will wear for the Brazilian."

I'm starting to get what the Brazilian is and what area it's supposed to 'treat'.

"No," I say, shaking my head.

"It's not that bad, I promise. I'll go quick and you will thank me later," she says, smiling.

I sigh. Maybe I should? Not that I think Zeke will care when I eventually let him near that part of me, but maybe I should do it just to be brave for once, to push my boundaries of my bubble of safety. I'm not comfortable about showing that part to anyone, and if I'm eventually going to show it to Zeke, this might be good to start with. I feel comfortable around Margaret, and I'm wearing this thin piece of...string? I look at it once again and swallow hard.

"You can change behind that curtain," Margaret says and points to the corner.

I reluctantly grab the 'string thing' and change into them behind the curtain. I stand there for a while, wondering if I have the courage to step out.

"Are you ready?" she asks me, and I take a deep breath and step out. I try to pull the hem of my shirt lower while I hurry to the bed/chair, whatever, again. "Now, just lay down and spread your legs."

I feel like I'm about to hyperventilate, but I hold it in, not wanting to be a chicken. I look up at the ceiling and think about pleasant things.

I feel her put the warm wax on, then the strip. I hold my hands tight on the edge of the bed and embrace for⸺