Chapter 19

ZEKE

I'm dying to kiss her again, but I'm afraid to. It might not go as well this time. At least I get to hold her, but I need more. The bond is getting stronger and it's just a week until she turns 18.

I can feel her getting stronger, both physically and mentally. She's taking better care of herself now. She eats more and rests when she needs too. Although, she hasn't been as tired for the past few days. She's happier and a bit more confident.

It's Friday, and I've thought about kissing her all day at school. I can't wait until tomorrow to tell her. I need to do it now. We're on our way home and I mind-link the others, mom and dad to let them know what I'm about to do, and that we might be late for dinner.

"When we get home, I need to show you something," I say a little nervously to Hope.

"O-okay."

"It's something important that you need to know about me."

I can feel her getting a little nervous too, but she doesn't say anything.

I park the truck and help her out. I leave our backpacks there for now, then grab her hand and walk her to the clearing in the woods where we can be alone. I stop and let go of her hand, but I stay facing away from her, taking a deep breath. How do I begin explaining to her? I've been going through this in my head, but I think it's better if I just show her.

"Zeke," Hope says worriedly.

I turn around and grab her hands.

***

HOPE

I'm starting to get nervous. What is it that he has to tell me, and why out here?

He starts explaining. "There's a reason why we live in this village and have our own school. There's also a reason why, especially the males, are bigger, stronger and look a bit older than most guys our age."

The thoughts are running wildly through my head. Are they in some kind of cult? Do they all use steroids?

"It's not what you think," he says, giving me a comforting smile. "It's nothing bad. It's just hard to believe, and I think it's better if I just show you."

I don't say anything. I just wait for him to continue.

"Do you trust me?" he asks me with worry in his eyes. "I would never hurt you in any way. You know that, right?"

I do know that. He's the one that keeps me safe.

I nod at him.

"Look into my eyes," he says.

I do and he looks back at me. I see that red flash again, but this time, it doesn't stop, they turn completely red.

I gasp. "T-they...They're red."

"It's still me," he says, putting my palm on his cheek, making me feel that warm tingle. "I'm still me."

I breath heavily, but I know that it's still Zeke.

"Are you afraid of me?"

"N-no."

"Good...because there's more. Remember that this is me all the time and I would never hurt you. Keep focusing on my eyes."

I nod. What more is there? You shouldn't be able to change the colors of your eyes.

He lets go of my hands and backs off a bit. He starts taking his t-shirt and jeans off, leaving him in his black boxers.

What is he doing? Should I close my eyes before he takes them off too?

"Look into my eyes," he says one more time before he starts breathing heavily and clenches his fists. Then, I hear bones cracking and his back starts arching upward with black fur growing out of his back. It spreads all over his body and his face is changing too. His whole body is changing.