Chapter 10

ZEKE

I don't feel good about not going with her when she's still so fragile, but I have to focus on training. We usually use our big backyard for fight training, but since Hope can't see us if she comes back earlier, I've moved todays training to a clearing in the woods. We both train in human and wolf form.

Dad and I decided that it was best to tell our warriors about Hope. That way, they can help us keep an eye on her and know not to shift in front of her. When we've spoken to them, dad leaves and lets us go back to training.

I can feel her sadness again, but try not to focus on it too much. I know that she's safe with the girls.

After a while, I can't feel anything special and I know she's calm again. I order the warriors what to do and show the newer, younger ones what to expect in a fight. We shift into our wolves and I ask for a volunteer. One cocky, young wolf wants to fight me and the others shake their heads. They know that he won't stand a chance against me.

I take him down quickly and stand over him, show my teeth and growl. He whimpers and gives up, and the others laugh at him.

"Don't laugh," I order sternly through the mind-link. "This is a serious situation. If this was a real fight, he would be dead within a minute. It's not every day you have to fight an Alpha that is stronger than you, but warriors can be just as good at fighting or even have better fighting skills because they get more field training."

They stop laughing and nod.

"That's why this training is so important and that you keep training every day. You will each be assigned a mentor that guides you, and you will keep training with them until you're fully trained warriors. Now, pair up two and two and do as I've shown you."

I watch them fight and give them pointers. I glance over to the warriors that are training on the field to the left. They know what to do, and when I'm done with the newbies, I'll join them.

I feel Hope's sadness again, and this time, I can feel her crying.

My wolf whimpers and Chris comes running over to me. "What is it?" he asks worriedly.

"It's Hope. She's crying. I'm going to mind-link Mira."

"Mira, what's wrong with Hope?" I say with a harsh tone.

"Calm down, Alpha. She didn't want your mom to pay for the clothes and says that she can't pay her back. She's a little overwhelmed that you're taking care of her. Did you know that her mom only took her shopping until she was 10? After that, she hasn't been to the mall and had to buy her own clothes. What kind of mother does that to a 10-year-old?"

I'm getting more and more pissed at her so-called parents and growl. "Take her out of there or to a calm place and let her have a moment, then bring her home," I order.

"Yes, Alpha."

Fucking shitty excuse of a mother...and father too for that matter.

I keep growling and turn to Chris. "Take over. I need to fight." I start walking over to the warriors.

"I don't think you should fight your own warriors in that state," Chris says worriedly.

"I'll go easy on them," I say, grinning.

"Yeah, right!" Chris says and shakes his head.

"I need a volunteer!" I shout out angrily through the mind-link with my eyes glowing red.

They all sense my anger and cower down to show me submission.

One of them steps forward. "Alpha, we just caught a rouge trying to attack one of our own. Maybe you should fight him?"

"Perfect. Bring him here." I stand there waiting with my chest heaving out of anger. They bring the rouge to me, and he's a cocky son of a bitch. I ask him why he crossed our border and attacked a warrior.

"Because you're weak and I would've taken him out if two of your other pathetic wolves wouldn't have caught me. Look at you, fighting like pussies," he says, grinning.

"I'll give you a head start," I say, grinning back with my teeth showing and eyes glistening. He's not going to reach the border until I catch him.

My warriors let him go and he stands there confused, looking around until he understands what I'm about to do. He quickly takes off into the woods.

One Mississippi, two Mississippi...eh, the hell with it. I take off after him. There's nothing more satisfying than a chase.

I catch up with him pretty quickly and go for his throat. He goes down without a struggle and I bite hard to crush his trachea and break his neck.

That was kind of boring, but at least I'm calm again.

I mind-link my warriors to take the body and throw it on the other side of the border. That will leave a warning to other's that try to attack us. I tell the other's that training is over for today, then I hit the shower. I need to wash off the blood before Hope gets home.

When I'm showered and changed, I hear the car come down the road, so I go outside to meet Hope. Mira quickly jumps out and tells me that she's asleep. I open the door, gently scoop her up in my arms and carry her inside, up to the bedroom.

Still sleeping, she grabs my shirt and snuggles into it. I just melt with a goofy grin on my face. I'm so fucking happy.

I gently place her down on the bed, but she's still holding on to my shirt, so I have no other choice but to lie down with her.

Bummer.

I let her sleep next to me, snuggled into my side, while I half sit and hold my arm around her. No one better come in here right now and see my silly smile.

I soon drift off too, and after a while, she wakes up and stretches out. When she opens her eyes, she seems a little confused. She looks up and sees me next to her, smiling. She jumps out of bed and quickly brushes her fingers through her hair, trying to tame it.

"I-I'm so sorry," she says, looking down.

"Nothing to be sorry about. I had the best sleep in a long time," I say, smiling.

She blushes and I walk over to her and grab her hand. "Let's go down and get us something to eat before you put your new clothes into the closet."

"N-no, I can't take up space in your closet. I'll just keep them in the bags."

Is she serious?

I grab her shoulders gently and look into her eyes. "You're staying here. You're not going back home. You're living here now and you get half of my closet. Understand?"

"O-okay."

"Good. Let's go to the kitchen."