Chapter 17

HOPE

I wake up feeling warm and really comfortable again, which can only mean one thing, I'm in Zeke's arms again. I freeze, but remember what he told me yesterday. He won't do anything I'm not comfortable with. I relax and try to enjoy this feeling. He's got his chest against my back, and since he's so much bigger than me, he covers all of my body with his warmth. How can he be so warm all the time? His big, muscular arms are wrapped around me, like he's sheltering me from all the bad things in the world. I feel calm and content.

I lie there looking at the tattoos on his arms. I feel like tracing them with my fingers, and that's what I do. He seems to be a heavy sleeper, so he won't notice.

Suddenly, I hear him chuckle. "You're tickling me."

"S-sorry," I say and quickly stop.

"You don't have to stop. It felt good."

He flips me around toward him, making me let out a squeak. He nuzzles his head into the crook of my neck and....smells me? He lifts his head up and looks at me. I'm sure that I see those flashes of red in his eyes again.

"I'll take shower. Stay here and rest," he says and quickly gets out of bed and walks into the bathroom.

I definitely need to do an eye exam.

I walk into the closet and pick out some clothes so I don't have to walk there with just my towel around me when I've showered after him. I pick a pine-green hoodie with my usual black leggings.

Zeke comes out of the bathroom with just his towel around his hips again. "Your turn," he says smiling.

I look down, because otherwise, I would be drooling.

I shower, get dressed, dry my hair and brush it. I look at myself in the mirror. Really look at myself.

Zeke knocks on the door. "Are you okay, Hope?"

I snap out of it and open the door. "I'm okay," I say, giving him a small smile.

"Let's have breakfast, then," he says and grabs my hand, then we walk down to the kitchen.

When we park at school, the students that are outside are staring at us. Zeke lifts me out and gives me a hug. I hug him back and inhale his calming scent.

"You okay?"

I nod.

He takes my hand and we walk inside with Chris, Evelyn, Ben and Ryan behind us.

***

ZEKE

I hear the whispers as soon as we step inside of the school. The girls are jealous and the boys are seeing Hope in another light, which pisses me off. The rumor has spread that we're living together. I don't give a fuck about that. She's mine and she's supposed to be with me. What pisses me off the most is the disrespectful comments from the boys about Hope.

We walk through the hallway where most students stand by their lockers. The jocks are standing together, talking amongst themselves. I know that Hope can hear them too.

"She's fucking hot. I can't believe that I didn't notice before."

"Why didn't I snatch her when I had the chance."

"Did you hear that they're living together?"

"Yeah, I bet he's fucking her brains out every night. I bet she's good at it too."