MISUNDERSTANDING

TW : Anxiety

Hazel's POV :

"Hello, my name is Hazel Goode Venable and I'm new in this school and..." I took a deep breathe because I didn't want panic to take over me again. "and I can't find my class."

The lady looked me up and down with her eyebrows raised. "You're late young lady. The classes started twenty minutes ago."

"I- I know I'm sorry but I- I was lost in the corridors so- so I had to call my mom." I stuttered.

"You're mom ? Are you what, like eight ?"

"No I- I'm 14 but-"

She cut me in the middle of my sentence "It was a rhetorical question." She sighed. Then she looked at her computer. "Well, you're in Mr Martinez class so I suggest you run because he hates when his students are late or even worse, not attending his classes." She gave me a new map where my way to the class was written in red. I thanked her and made my way to my classroom.

I knocked on the door quietly and a big tall man opened it.

"And who are you ?" He asked and I immediately felt so little, so vulnerable.

"I- I'm Hazel G-Goode Vena... Venable... I'm supposed to be in y- your class right n- now b-but I got lost so I- I'm late I'm so- so- sorry Sir." I uncomfortably whispered.

"Yes, you're my new student Hazel. But can't you even pronounce correctly your name ? Come on, you can speak louder and please, look at me in the eyes when your talking to me." He practically yelled at me as tears were building in my eyes, again, for the third time of the day already and it was only 10 a.m.

I sat quietly in the back of the class while each and every students had their eyes on me. I unpacked my bag on my desk and the teacher violently hit the board. "Eyes on your papers !!" He shouted. My classmates immediately turned to their papers in a heavy silence. But I didn't have the so called paper and I was being more and more shy by the minute, I didn't know how to ask the teacher for it. I sniffed a little and took my phone to text my mom Delia, exposing her the situation. She answered right away.

'It's okay to be scared the first day, just ask your teacher for the documents and try your best. I know you can do it sweet girl, I love you.'

So I reunited all my strength and raised my hand.

"Yes ?" Asked Mr Martinez.

"Mmmh, I'm sorry sir but I don't have the documents to work..." I tried to speak as loud as I could.

"And ? You just waited ten minutes, sitting in my class before realizing that ?!" He took a pile of papers in front of him and nearly threw it at me. "Who give me this good for nothing girl..." He murmured walking back to the board.

At this point it was getting to difficult to swallow back my tears so I allowed them to freely fall down my cheeks and the papers, that I actually understand nothing that was written on.

At the end of the lesson, it was lunch time and we had to give our papers to Mr Martinez. I was one of the last student to left the class and when I handed him my paper, he sighed. "How pathetic..."

I tried to ignore that and I just ran to the back of the school, where I found a quiet place. I sat there and waited. The bell rang to announce that lunch was over and we had to go back to class but I waited. I waited after more than three bells when I got a call from mom Delia.

"Baby where are you ?!" She demanded panicked.

"I'm at school mom..." I hadn't time to explain everything because she cut me.

"At school ?! But the school just called to inform me that you skipped two classes this afternoon ! No one saw you since before lunch you scared me to death!! Come on Hazel where are you ?!" I could hear a new tone in her voice, a tone I didn't really knew, maybe anger.

"I promise mom ! I promise you I'm at school but- but not in class I just- I- I couldn't" She cut me again.

"Okay we'll see, mom is on her way to pick you up. I hope you're where you claim to be, otherwise mom and I are gonna be mad Hazel." She didn't wait for me to answer, she hang up.