Jo + Jo

Family was key.

Family was life.

Family broke down walls.

Family was everything.

Jocelyn's father taught them to live, love, and drive fast. He never told her that one day she would have to cut her life short for her brother. Or that her niece would suffer when she or her brother was gone.

Jocelyn could remember him watching them play in the yard with their best friends, Brian and Roman. The only two kids who understood how it was to be different. They practically became their second family.

'Bruh, you just let a girl beat you!' Roman used to chuckle and tease at Brian when they used to race one another. Jocelyn's dad's old junkyard was the perfect closed race course. 'Leave Snow Bunny alone. He just broke a nail back there.' Jocelyn started her own round of teasing as she exited the car and made a way over to her older brother, Jovanni, who happened to be working on an old car.

She crept by him with a wrench and a metal basket before kicking his leg while banging on the metal to make a clanging sound. He hurriedly shot up from under the car. The smirk he got from his sister was wide and filled with lots of teeth. She was winning at their little bet.

Jocelyn had bet him that she could annoy him before he annoyed her. She was currently about to have her brother at the insanity ward after being teased for three days straight by herself. Jovanni had a pretty decent temper except when someone threatened them.

'Hey Bri, why can't you just be celibate? Obviously these girls aren't good enough for you.' Jocelyn had a dead serious look on her face. Brian almost laughed at the look but just ended up smiling. 'Joce, I love you. You know that right? No need to be jealous.' He caught the bowl coming his way but when the wrench flew over, he ducked.

Everyone started laughing except Jocelyn who was giving Brian a glare. He was used to it by now. She'd tease him, he'd tease her, then she'd want to kill him.

Jovanni crept into the garage and Jocelyn jumped on Brian's back to cover his eyes. Roman tackled him into a chair. They all were grinning like mad demons when they finished tying the squirming blonde to a chair.

'What is up, man? Are you trying to her kill me? Rome, I'm sorry bout that girl, Marcie. She was a bobblehead.' Brian said as he struggled with the practical knots tying him down.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes.

'Jovan, hurry up! Brian's about to shit his pants!!!' Joce sent the blue eyed boy a smirk as she flipped her hair over her shoulder. 'Payback's a bitch, Bri! When you least expect it, I will kill you.' His eyes widened with fear but became excited when he realized it wasn't today.

Jovanni walked in with a huge cake with Brian's name on it and candles and happy birthday! Jocelyn started clapping and singing really loudly as she threw confetti from her pocket onto her best friend. Brian chuckled out loud.

'Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to Briannnn! Happy Birthday to you!!!!' They all sang off key as Brian watched from his perch. He couldn't remember the last time he had a whole cake made by someone he loved. His mother had passed away when he was ten and his father kept to himself as he drank himself into a coma.

Jocelyn finally untied the boy's hands and pulled him up for a hug. She kissed his cheek with tears coming to her eyes. Her love was real and she knew Brian had a hard childhood but they were a family. All of them.

Roman and Jovanni dug their fingers in the frosting before he could even blow out the candles. 'Hey bastards, let him make his wish! Even though, I'm already a dream come true!' Joce winked at Brian playfully as she waited for him to blow out the candles.

Seconds later, they were eating cake, drinking Coronas, and laughing about how Roman could never get a girlfriend that wasn't rated higher than a 3.5. Jocelyn's arm was wrapped around Brian's neck as she sat upon his lap. The guys were cool with it because neither of them disrespected her or felt anything but platonic friendship/sisterly love for her.

--

'Brian's gone. What do you need to hear to believe it, Joce?' Jovanni told her as they both stared out at the rainy skies. She had been sulking for two weeks now. Brian just wasn't meant to live life simply. He needed something more and the academy was a great start.

The hazel eyed girl shook her head like his words were untrue. Lies. She didn't just lose her best friend while the other was away in prison. It was not like both of them to be gone so long. Would they forgot her?

Would they really forget someone they basically watched grow up?

Jocelyn's face was filled with tears. She had lost so many people over the course of years. First her parents were taken away from her one by one then her friends were leaving her. Her second family.

'I don't need to hear anything. I want Roman and Brian to walk back through those doors so we can go racing. This doesn't seem right. My mind can't forget them so easily, Jovan.'

--

Jocelyn ran fingers through her hair before sighing heavily. She had done it. They could do it now.

They could forgive and forget.

She let Benny's men bind and gag her before a bag was placed over her head.

Darkness swallowed her.

Family, Family, Family...