Remember the Days

Jocelyn slept in a fit as she watched images flash between her eyes. She had her hands clenching the hospital sheets. Sweat poured down her forehead and neck drenching the hospital gown and her hair.

Dom watched her carefully. Not wanting to wake her and make her feel scared. She had been reluctant to let him be in the room with her.

Her eyes were guarded as she had regarded and questioned him. He had given her the best answers without making her feel like she didn't know herself at all. So they were keeping a distance.

The monitors spiked all of a sudden and its loud beeping noises made Dom stand. He grabbed her hand and tried to see if he could find out the problem. She squirmed around and she yelled aloud like she was in pain.

Dom was afraid to move lest he make a mistake. He felt like this was something he couldn't control or fix.

'She's flatlining, sir! Sir, can you step away? The doctor needs his space.' The nurse pushed Dom out of the way as she went to set up the machine that would hopefully revive Jocelyn.

Doctors ran in and were pushing Dom out of the room as they tried to work and bring her back. It was shaky at first, but then finally her heart rate was back on the screen. Everyone sighed in relief as her chest visibly moved and the electricity seemed to move throughout her movements.

When they finished, Dom was allowed to check up on her.

She was motionless, but the movement of her chest reassured him. He clutched her hand which was slightly cooler than normal. Everything was safe, for now.

After monitoring her for several days, doctors decided to let her be removed from the comatose state. Her eyes opened after several hours of being without the drugs. This pleased both the doctors, Dom, and her brother.

'Why are you still here? Where's Jovanni, my brother?! I-you shouldn't be here!'

These words cut Dom like a knife. He took some steps back as Jovanni stepped forward after returning from a coffee run. The look in his eyes was apologetic as he asked Dom to leave.

'Jovan, why is that man constantly invading my space? Do you know him? Who is he?' Jocelyn seemed adamant to remember something if anything.

Jovanni handed her a warm chocolate chip cookie before sitting near her bedside. She thanked him softly as she took a small bite. Not really having an appetite and not sure why when she ate like a fat man on her best and worst days.

He removed an album from the bag he had brought for her. The sad look on his face made her face scrunched up in confusion.

'Did I do something wrong, Jovan? I feel different. Like I know something but it feels sort of fuzzy and I can't recall any of it.'

Jocelyn really wanted to know why everything about her felt strange. She wasn't hungry, she wasn't tired yet her mental was exhausted, and her brother looked way different than he did three years ago.

Jovanni pressed a finger to his lip in the universal sign to silence.

When she got quiet and gave him her full attention, Jovanni opened the album. The various images made her go back to those old times. Then she saw Sadie and her eyes watered. It was like watching the child grow up all over again.

'My baby. So I have forgotten three years of my life. How did this happen? Who did this to me, JoJo?' Jocelyn whispered as tears spilled over and plopped onto the laminate covered pictures. 'Why me?'

The answers weren't all his. He couldn't give her a memory of how she had basically raised his daughter. He couldn't describe her whatever with Dom. He couldn't give her back those years because he hadn't been there.

So he brought in someone who had always been there.

Scott.

Brian had told him how she kept in touch with her old high school buddy. And Scott had been willing to come to shed light on some certain memories. It seemed like the only option right now.

When he walked in with a huge bouquet of wildflowers, Jocelyn practically squealed in delight. She raised her arms like a child and gave him a big hug. Her smiles and laughter made Jovanni believe that she would be okay.

That's how the flashes of memory slowly crept back in. Jocelyn even adding a memory or two of her own that neither one of the would have been able to recall. They each involved her and Sadie and Chevy. It was working.

She was slowly remembering, but nothing from the last six months was particularly present.

But Dom slowly crept in.

In flashes.

But this was enough.

To start a flood of emotion.