Turning Point

Another day passed, and very soon, the weekend would be upon us and then we, the second years, would join our first-year counterparts in facing the first Special Exam of the year. An exam where, once again, we would battle against expulsion, seeking to close the ever-growing gap between classes.

However, possibly due to the influence of Tsukishiro and the existence of a White Room student, or students, hidden amongst the first years, only the second-year students would face expulsion if their pairing failed to surpass a combined mark of 500.

To make matters worse, with each passing day: new pairings were forming, thinning the amount of available, academically proficient first-year students meaning that, for the almost entirely partnerless class 2-D, tensions and the threat of expulsion were growing by the day. Despite this, the atmosphere in class 2-D was one of composed calmness with an underlying unease. An atmosphere refined through numerous "close calls" and triumphs against unfavourable odds, and strong faith in the leader who brought them through said circumstances, Horikita.

Although, unlike my classmates, who were more than happy to allow Horikita to find and assign them a partner who meets their academic prerequisites, I am hassled with the laborious chore of screening and carefully selecting my partner due to the measures taken by Tsukishiro.

But, so far, the actions I have taken to ensure my safety has been minimal–if not non-existent–as I had almost forgotten about the Special Exam or the potential threat to my future at ANHS, which would ultimately lead to my return to the White Room, all because of the concept of "Human Warmth" and the innate desire to seek it. Of course, this idea is also one of the main principles the White Room rejects, as human warmth is not necessary for nurturing one's mind and does not necessarily influence a person's success, meaning it is needless when pursuing supremacy. However, today will act as the turning point. The day I will witness the consequences of this new ideology and potentially regret past decisions as I futilely struggle for personal development.

"Senpai!~"

Heaving a weary sigh, I cut my train of thought short, satisfied with its current conclusion and so that I could devote all my attention to the very bothersome existence who had just arrived, no doubt with the hopes of causing trouble.

Making a beeline towards us: me, Horikita and Sudou, Amasawa, the bothersome existence, retained her usual demeanour, seemingly unperturbed by the attention she was receiving from my classmates whom Horikita had briefed about the current chain of events.

"Thank you for coming, Amasawa-san. Once again, I would like to thank you for partnering up with Sudou-kun despite the difference between your OAA ratings," Horikita said, stepping forward along with Sudou, who had his ID out: ready to complete the partnering process.

"Oh, it's no problem Horikita-senpai. After all, I did make a deal, so since Senpai filled me up~ I had to accept! A deal is a deal!" Amasawa replied, caressing her stomach as she emphasised "filled" in an attempt to provoke everyone currently present inside the classroom.

Obviously, due to the delivery and the implication associated with her words and gesture, Amasawa's provocation succeeded, causing a tidal wave of mixed emotions ranging from flustered bewilderment to scornful disgust to wash over me. Even Horikita, a person notorious for her coldness, looked between the two of us, myself and Amasawa, with troubled mixed emotions.

However, before I could give any non-verbal cues to Amasawa or Horikita or even start thinking about mounting a verbal defence to appease the situation, a very red Sudou erupted.

"A- Ayanokouji, you did what!? What does she mean by: "Senpai filled me up"?" Sudou exclaimed, sporting the same flustered and slightly uncomfortable countenance as everyone present except myself and a very amused Amasawa.