Chapter 21

"Please, professor. Would there be a way for me to take those subjects?" You were walking with McGonagall towards the Teacher's lounge with books in your hands as McGonagall asked you to carry them.

"You wanted to pursue Auror? Isn't it a bit late for you to do so, Ms L/N?" She asked as she opened the door for you and you could not help but feel goosebumps as you entered the lounge only to see Severus grading some parchments.

You watched him scribble harsh words onto someone's parchment, his brows pulled together in annoyance and confusion by the student's answer to his seemingly hard quiz. He was still attractive to your eyes no matter how much you despise him. Severus let out a grunt as he read the essay, and you could almost laugh by the way he almost crumpled the parchment in his fist.

It has been days since you arrived here from the Christmas holidays but it seems like it was just yesterday when it happened and every night's memories came flashing in your mind, the night where you couldn't even care if the time flies, every moment where you don't even care where this little thing between the two of you could lead you.

But here, that little thing led you here, where the two of you kept on ignoring each other as if you hadn't even uttered a word since you became a student at Hogwarts. It felt as though he had buried the sweet memories of yesterday that he had spent with you, and you could only wish for yourself to experience such a thing because everywhere you look; you still caught glimpse of the painful night at Spinner's End.

Your eyes seem like they don't want to leave him as you were still focused on Severus' face, Professor McGonagall's words were completely forgotten as you admired Severus from the place you were standing, not far away from where he was seated, but still, your presence remained unknown to him.

"Ms L/N?" McGonagall called, but it seems like you were completely lost in your Wonderland.

"Ms L/N is there something you need to talk about with Professor Snape?"

The Professor had completely pulled you out from your trance, your eyes wide as you realized what you just had been doing and the moment Minerva said it, Severus lifted his head and caught your eyes and that was the first time you had made an eye contact with him; his eyes was filled with longing and yearning that it made your heart somehow thump against your chest before you return your gaze to McGonagall who was watching you with raised eyebrows.

"Nothing," you replied, your lower lip was in between your teeth, trying to hold yourself from getting embarrassed from what just happened seconds ago.

"Very well then, please do take a seat." She said, gesturing at the chair that was in front of Severus.

"I see, your mother has finally convinced you to become one." She said as she pressed her lips together. Your expression changed and your once knitted brows loosened and unbeknownst to you, Severus watched you with a sympathetic look in his eyes before he went back to check the remaining parchments.

"Is something the matter?" She asked as she noticed that you had gone quite as if a cat got your tongue and your eyes were fixed on the wall across the room.

"Nothing, actually." You said as you finally snapped out of your reverie, a small yet nervous smile grew on your face before you turn your complete attention to Minerva who only nodded in understanding.

"I see, I've noticed, you have your head above the clouds these days. Is everything all right, dear?" She asked, her eyes boring into yours as if she was searching for any lies that must have been hiding in those hues.

"I am quite alright, just the NEWTs and all." You lied.

"I can see, you hardly even hang out with your peers. I must say if you are willing to pursue Auror; then you have to take special classes with certain subjects for you to qualify for Auror training." She said, watching your eyes shifting.