4

"Well, that was a mess." Childe laughs brightly, but on the inside, he's screaming. He fucked up, didn't he? And now one of Zhongli's oldest companions probably wants to hunt him for sport.

Zhongli only shakes his head. "Don't mind him, Xiao can be... difficult sometimes. I want you to get along, of course, but I understand that it will take some time for this to be the case."  He doesn't even look disappointed or anything - just neutral.

Paimon looks between them a couple of times and then smiles brightly. "You ruined Aether's dinner you know! They worked really hard on it! You should get the mess cleaned up as an apology!"

Before either of them can reply, Paimon is gone, most likely going to sleep in one of the rooms. "Well, I guess I deserve that for not backing down..." Childe moves to stand up but Zhongli pushes him down again gently.

Confused eyes meet Zhongli's ember ones. "Rest, you are injured. I'll take care of it." Childe wants to protest - his injuries aren't that bad - but the look in Zhongli's eyes stops him.

There is hurt in them - he feels guilty, it's written all over his usually stoic face. There is nothing his friend should feel guilty for - what is some injuries compared to freedom, after all? "I can help, it's ok! Really!"

Besides, if Xiao comes in and Childe is lazing around while Zhongli is doing all the work... Well, he doubts the Adeptus will be pleased.

"No, I insist." Zhongli's warm hand is still on his shoulder, giving him a gentle squeeze. "I would be most unhappy if your injuries worsened because of mere chores. Please, allow me."

Childe can't look away from Zhongli's entrancing eyes. The message is loud and clear - let me take care of you, to make up for what I've done. Even someone as dense as Childe can see it. "...Fine, alright. You gotta let me help you tomorrow though!"

Zhongli looks conflicted for a second before nodding. He then gets right to tidying the table up.

It's odd, seeing him do such normal, mundane chores. Childe never could picture Zhongli as someone that does any house chores, be it cooking or cleaning. There was always this otherworldly air around him. At first, Childe had assumed Zhongli is a noble of some kind - oh, how wrong he was.

He watches Zhongli gather the dishes in silence. There are so many questions running rampant in his mind. Why did Zhongli go to such length for him, a Fatui Harbinger? Childe is aware they're friends but would Zhongli go so far just for him?

There is also the issue of what to do now. They will have to lay low for a while before they can go travel with Aether. The Fatui are most likely searching for his corpse before reporting back to the Tsaritsa. When the info comes back to Snezhnaya it won't be pretty- oh no.

Childe gasps out loud. "My family, does my family know I'm not dead?" If Teucer and Tonia think he's dead they'll be devastated. He can't break their hearts like this, not for his selfish wishes.

Zhongli freezes in place. "I..." Oh no. "Forgive me, I didn't think about this aspect... It slipped my mind." Childe is trying incredibly hard not to panic right now. It's not working. "We must send a message to them right away."

"Until the letter gets to them they'll already have the news." No, no, he can't hurt them like this. Ajax is their big, strong, indestructible brother. He can't disappoint them. "Is there anything quicker?"

Zhongli is already bringing him paper and something to write. "I'm uncertain if that's possible... I apologize, I shouldn't have overlooked something so important." The anguish is written all over Zhongli's being. Childe can't bring himself to be mad at him. "I will call in a personal favor."