19

Childe doesn't waste any time. He opens the box, bringing the chopsticks to light. He's careful as he does so. He looks at them for a moment before asking quietly, "Why ask me like this?"

Zhongli ponders over how to answer. "...I realized you wouldn't be able to understand my intention. However, I had my reasons as to why I asked you this way." He pauses, studying Childe's reaction. His face completely neutral Zhongli can't even begin to guess what he's thinking. "...You're aware that I've lived for a very long time? I... I'm afraid that time passes me quickly. If I didn't set some kind of time limit, it could take me up to 40 years I make a move. I didn't want to be... too late."

"Time limit?" Ajax repeats. "Hmmm, I suppose I could have looked up the meaning of these at one point. It's pretty difficult to find if you have no idea what you're looking for. It would have taken me a while."

"I suppose." Zhongli agrees. He hadn't quite thought about that issue, but it resolved itself. "Now - my other reason." He sits up straighter. "My goal is that by the time you know what the chopsticks mean, you won't say no."

"Oh?" There is a pleased glint in Childe's eyes. "Sure of yourself, I see."

"Do I have a reason not to be?" Despite his nervousness, Zhongli relaxes slightly and allows himself to smile. "May I hear your answer, Ajax?"

Ajax leans back, quiet. "...Zhongli- no, Rex Lapis. You might be mortal now, but you still were an Archon." He gestures to his mask. "I can't accept another contract when I'm bound by another."

Zhongli tries to act like that sentence didn't physically strike him. "I see." His voice comes out even and calm, fortunately. "Is that your decision then?"

"Are you kidding me?" Childe snorts and shakes his head. "I just have to end my previous contract first before I can agree to another."

The relief Zhongli feels immense. Then the implication of Childe's words sinks in. Zhongli's eyes widen.

"With this, I let go of my contract with the Tsaritsa, the Cryo Archon." Childe smashes his mask. "The delusion might make me stronger - but I can do without. I don't care for it." Then, he stands up and walks over to Zhongli. "I don't need it." He drops it on the floor and stomps on it, shattering it to pieces.

There is no hesitation as he does so, his eyes are firm - determined. Zhongli finds himself standing up as well. "Then...?"

"I think you should know my answer by now- but don't think I'll let you get away that easily." Childe crosses his arms, a self-confident smile on his lips. "I want to hear you say it."

"Of course." Zhongli takes Ajax's hands in his, squeezing them gently. "Ajax, I love you." Ajax's cheeks turn red immediately and Zhongli finds himself encouraged by it. "I've wanted to retire from my duties for a while now- but I've only truly started enjoying mortal life once I met you. You've made this life worth living."

"Zhongli..." There is a soft look in Childe's eyes.

Zhongli smiles at him and caresses his cheek. "There is nothing else I want but to stay by your side. Would you engage in a new contract with me? A contract to bind us together, as long as our mortal lives will permit it."

To his surprise, Childe laughs. "Only if you tweak that last part. Do you think death can keep us apart? Please. I didn't survive the Abyss for nothing."

Zhongli has to laugh as well. "If you so desire, I will change that part. A contract that will bind us eternally then. Ajax, would you do me the honor and marry me?"

"Yes, I will." The answer is instantaneous. Zhongli almost collapses from relief. "But next time if you do something like this, just ask me like a normal person, will you?" Despite his words, Childe looks happy - radiant.