18

What the fuck.

What the FUCK?

Zhongli proposed? To him? Childe?

Ajax is going to wake up any second now. This is a dream. There is no way that this is real. No way.

But there it is, black and white on the paper of the accursed book.

Zhongli had proposed to Childe months ago.

How is Ajax supposed to process this? Here he was, wondering if Zhongli even liked the real him only to find out the former Archon has been courting him for months.

Childe pinches his cheek and flinches. Yup. He's awake.

"Holy shit." He sits down on the bed, the book forgotten on the table. The window is still wide open. Xiao is probably still laughing at him.

Oh shit, Xiao's reaction to the chopsticks makes so much sense now.

Shit, the chopsticks!

Childe gets the box and opens it carefully. The pattern is unmistakable - a dragon phoenix pattern. Someone as knowledgeable as Zhongli would never give these to someone by mistake.

No, this was very intentional.

But why did Zhongli never say anything? It was obvious that Childe had no idea what they were actually for.

That's something he will have to ask the man himself.

Childe closes the box again and sighs heavily.

Is he ready for something like this?

He looks around the room like it hides the answer from him. Instead, he notes the Fatui mask he left on the table.

Ah, that's right.

How can he even think about a new contract when he didn't even let go of his old one?

His delusion seems to spark at his thoughts - almost like a warning.

What path does Tartaglia want to take? Who is he most loyal to? Can he agree to such a commitment? Will he betray the Tsaritsa like this? Didn't he essentially betray her already?

No, Childe is sure that if he were to come back, Zhongli would vouch for him and he'd be accepted right back.

Ajax needs to sit down and think - what's most important to him? What does he want? What will make him happy?

He had served the Tsaritsa for years now. He's been her loyal tool, the youngest Harbinger.

The Fatui itself is an organization Childe never cared for. He had been saddened when his father had sent him away. Childe never wanted to leave his family - he didn't want to be part of an organization full of snakes. Tartaglia might have thrived in the organization, but it was the Tsaritsa that held his loyalty, nothing else.

All that Tartaglia got out of the Fatui was plenty of enemies to fight and being able to serve the Tsaritsa.

He was content then - his battle lust sated. But was he happy?

Childe startles when he comes to the realization - no, no he wasn't.

In the end, it had only driven him away from his family even more. He barely sees them now - only when he comes back for short breaks in Snezhnaya. Having Teucer here with him had brought him so much joy.

He greatly missed his younger siblings. Ajax misses being able to tease them, he misses being able to spoil them. Yes, he keeps sending Teucer toys but it's not the same.