18. Stiam [ epilogue ]

(( um can we all just appreciate that photo for a moment))

I felt my phone buzz on my nightstand and instantly reached to grab it; anything to distract myself from my own thoughts. Removing my eyesight from where it was once trained on the ceiling, I blinked harshly to adjust to the bright light from phone. The ghost of a smile tugged at my lips when I saw that it was a text from Liam. Of course, it wasn't the first time this had happened, if we're being honest, but every time he even flapping messaged me the butterflies are inevitable.

from: LIAM

are you asleep?

to: LIAM

not sure what that word is anymore

from: LIAM

same place? half an hour?

to: LIAM

see you soon

Jumping out of bed with a new found energy, I changed into a pair of leggings and a hoodie to keep me warm. Quickly doing my teeth (hey, don't blame the teenage girl with morning breath), while also putting on my joggers expertly fast, I was out the door in less than ten minutes.

It'd been no less than eight days since what happened in Mexico, and sure, nothing seemed to be getting easier, but it also wasn't getting any harder. You just have to think of the glass half full, right? Even though it's hard to convince myself of that some days, this teenage girl is only slightly embarrassed to admit that it was a boy (that she really, really likes) helping her through it.

Liam Dunbar. That stupid idiot that brought a smile to my face at just the thought of him. Who would've thought, after I spilt hot pink paint on him the first day we met? Okay, back to the story. The first few nights I spent alone were restless, tossing and turning trying to get even a blink of sleep. It was even worse than when I hadn't met Scott and everyone, because this time, I knew my visions were real. I had been so used to being paranoid for the future, I hadn't realised that being haunted by the past is just so much worse.

Nothing was working, but coming to school I noticed Liam looked no better. Bags under his eyes and messy hair; we were both exhausted. And so on the third night when I got a text from him to meet up on the hill outside my house, I didn't refuse. I guess, since then it's sort of just a ritual. I'm not going to lie and say that just after looking at him I could come home and sleep peacefully, because we all know that's not the truth and life just doesn't work that way, but, I will be cheesy and say that seeing him helped a little, at least.

So when I'm out the door and trudging up to the hill, I couldn't help but smile slightly seeing him already perched on top. Our hill, I like to think. That's too much, isn't it?

A mischievous smile took over my features as I thought of something that would be sure to make my day, no matter how peaceful he looked. He was starting out into the distance, at the view of my still unfinished painting, and part of me almost felt bad for what I was about to do. But I guess, it was payback for all rose times he made my heart leap out of chest.

Making sure my steps weren't making a sound, I snuck up the hill and quietly stood a little behind him, with an evil glint in my eye I focused on the leaves surrounding him, watching as one by one they levitated off of the ground, floating around. It was kind of beautiful in a way, and part of me wanted to remember the way he looked with the leaves floating around him, so I could draw it and keep this moment forever.