9. Blame it on the wind

09 // Blame it on the wind

"Your mother was a special woman. Remarkable, even. But a loving trait just didn't seem to be one of her's," my father had said. "I loved her so much, but I was too dumb to realise that she really just couldn't love me back. I thought a family would make her stay, that's when we had you. At first, I thought her excitement was real. She named you Wren instantly, because of how independent and free those birds are. But one night, she was just gone. There was almost no trace that she'd ever even lived here, and then an old lady shows up at our door in the pouring rain. You were crying, and screaming and kicking, but when the lady held you in your arms you were quiet. I knew of your mother's, er, Supernatural qualities, so when the lady started murmuring in a different language I assumed she was just an odd acquaintance. The lady's gibberish had stopped, but then it was literally like a movie, because with a poof of smoke she was gone, and all there was left was a little book cradled in your arms."

That whole speech had been echoing in my mind as I pedalled to the hospital. I'm pretty sure their plan hadn't even fallen into place yet, I could still help. I liked to blame my glassy eyes on the wind, and how fast I was going, but I knew it was because of my father's words. I always thought that there was nothing to her story. Just a woman, too scared of the ideals of having a kid. I never really blamed her, because I didn't even have a face to blame. But now it's worse, I guess. I noticed dad's face when he spoke of her, there was a tiny smile that seemed to had been held in for so long, yet it just didn't reach his eyes. The whole thing just looked painful for him.

And she was the reason.

All I can hope is that I never have to face the awful woman that did this to him. Yeah, my father and I haven't had the best relationship these sixteen years, but now I've put full blame on her. She broke my dad, she's close to breaking me, and I don't even remember what she looks like.

I decided that this was going to be something to keep to myself. Sure, I'll tell them about how I got my powers, but my mother, that can be one door that I'd like to lock shut.

Not sparing a second glance at the bicycle I left laying beside the hospital doors, I rushed inside, my heart beating faster than possible.

-

We were standing around Chris Argent's computer -- the father of Allison. It was him, Stiles and I, and we were attempting to contact the Benefactor.

"That's your 'assassin speak'?" Stiles exclaimed, gesturing to what Chris has typed.

"I said he's dead. What more do you want?" Chris questioned, unimpressed. I rolled my eyes at what was to come, because no doubt Stiles has seen way to many movies and would try quote them in any way possible.

"Well, it was a little dry. You could have said something like," here it comes, I thought. "Target has been neutralised. The crow flies at midnight -- that's always cool."

"Oh my God," I shook my head, as Chris hummed sarcastically.

As a beeping sound was heard from the computer, all three of our heads snapped towards the screen.

Visual confirmation is required.

Instantly, Stiles went straight for the keyboard, but realising what he had done, looked up to Chris for permission. I was surprised when Chris rolled his eyes, but still nodded.

"Type something like 'Visual confirmation isn't possible'," I suggested, and Chris nodded in agreement. Stiles typed, and Chris continued feeding him what to say.

"Police coming to claim body in forty minutes," Stiles finished typing and then hit send. The response came almost instantly.

Visual confirmation is required for payment.