FOUR

PUBLISHED: 16/05/2022
FINN'S POV

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping, Saoirse giggling and a dog barking.

I looked over at you, you were still asleep, hair still the way I adjusted it last night. You looked peaceful and calm, a big contrast to your sour ways during the day. Most of all, you looked at home. I felt a pang deep in my chest as I realised you would probably never think of a house as home, just like Esme. Maybe you could visit your family and stay with them whenever they came through, if Tommy allowed.

I rolled over and pulled the curtain back a tiny bit, revealing the early morning light filtering through the window above the bench, lighting the caravan and making it feel even more homely. This was the earliest I had woken up in months but the first time in a long time that I'd felt well rested.

I felt you move, so I looked back over to you. You had shifted so you were leaning back on your forearms, now awake.

"Morning," I greeted you quietly, letting go of the curtain, sending the bedroom part into darkness once more.

"Morning," You mumbled, bringing one hand up to rub the sleep out of your eyes, "Have a good sleep, Shelby?"

"Yeah, yeah I did," I admitted as you crawled out from under the blankets and took the blue blanket off of your window.

"I'm an early riser and I'm going to take my dog for one last walk before I go anywhere near your family, I'm not going to babysit you so do what you please until I come back," You stated as you clambered over me, exiting the bed altogether.

I heard you hiss as your feet hit the wooden floor of the caravan.

"Can I come?" I asked, throwing back the pile of blankets and sitting up, pushing the curtains to the side to look at you.

"If you want," You said, pulling on your boots then tucking your hair behind your ears.

You reached over and touched my coat, then drew your arm back as if you had just touched a pile of shit.

"Is that your coat?" You asked, looking around the van for yours.

I nodded as I jumped down and grabbed my boots, pulling them on and double knotting the laces as you wove yellow ribbon through yours. I picked up my coat and shrugged it on, finding your coat under mine.

"No wonder the sleeves kept on covering my hands, then," You murmured as I handed you the brown item of clothing wordlessly, and watched as you drew it around yourself, buttoning it up to the very top button, then pulling your hair out from under it.

"Look out," You commanded , nudging me out of the way.

I sat on the bench as you opened a cupboard under your bed and grabbed a hairbrush, quickly running it through your hair until it was knot-free, then carefully placing the wooden item onto the shelf once more, closing the cupboard door.

"Let's go," You instructed, leading me out of the caravan.

I touched the door jamb as I exited, grabbing the brass handle on your door and swinging it shut behind us.

Your siblings and your father were already up around the fire.

"Tuck! My boy!" You said joyfully as a brown and white dog came barrelling over to you, barking happily as you crouched to the ground, scratching behind his ears.

I tried to figure out where I had seen a dog like yours before, and it clicked; John had some of the same breed. He even let me name one.

I felt a lump form in my throat as my eyes welled with tears. I quickly brought my hand up to wipe my eyes, my ring feeling cold against my face.