THIRTY-FOUR

PUBLISHED: 07/07/2022
THIRD PERSON'S POV

You, the rest of the Golds, the Jesuses, the Shelbys, and Johnny Doggs' tribe were all in the dining hall of Arrow House, eating lunch. Tommy was hosting a Christmas lunch, and everyone stayed over the night before. The kids had all opened the present at the crack of dawn. You and Finn still had a handful of presents for Saoirse to open when you got home.

She had opened a few at Arrow House, her favourite one so far a kaleidoscope. She loved bright colours.

"Nice nails, there Finny boy," Arthur snickered, looking at his brother's purple nails.

Finn flushed but continued scooping potato salad onto the plate for Saoirse, who was fiddling with her new kaleidoscope, looking at the lights with it. You watched your sister as she looked up at the ceiling, and giggled at how the lights made the mosaic of colours all the more vivid. Saoirse heard Arthur's remark, and wasted no time narrowing her eyes at Arthur from across the table, and tightened her grip on her kaleidoscope. You snatched it out of her hand, knowing she was most likely to throw it at Arthur's head.

The older man shifted uncomfortably. At eight (and one month and a bit), your sister had already mastered many stares. The one she was giving Arthur now was her death stare. It even made Polly and Tommy uncomfortable sometimes.

"Can I help you?" He asked, sounding slightly disturbed.

You glanced at Finn, who gave a shrug after he placed your sister's plate in front of her.

"You think Finn's nails are funny," Saoirse replied in a matter of factly tone, a tone that gave no room for questioning.

Arthur moved in his seat, sitting himself up straighter than he was before. You resisted the urge to snicker at his discomfort. Finn was now biting his fist to try not to laugh.

"Well yes," Arthur said, moving his hand as he talked, "Us Shelby men think painted nails are for girls."

"They were done by a girl," Saoirse said shortly, obviously not impressed with Arthur, "My other best friend, Daisy. And she's better than all of you Shelby men combined, and worth her weight in gold."

You bit back a snort and rattled your sister's kaleidoscope, making her look at it and grab it back off of you, proceeding to look down at her plate of food with it.

Arthur cleared his throat, spearing a piece of his potato salad with his fork, and nodded.

"Fair enough, I believe ya," He replied, and Saoirse nodded, then had some of her own macaroni and cheese.

That was another trait of Arthur's you admired. He never spoke to children like they were stupid, and took their words into account. A trait that not many people possessed.

You knew Saoirse liked it. She would always complain about Linda, who treated her and Karl like they were still five, but you understood Linda's perspective as well.

You pushed the thought away as you had some of your own macaroni and cheese. An odd choice for Christmas lunch, but Charles was going through a phase where he wanted it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so he requested a dish of it be made. Lizzie told you that it was driving her mad, and if anyone offered her the dish in future she'd shove the dish and spoon they were serving the food with up the person's arse.

You ate the rest of your lunch without anyone making any remarks about Finn's nails, then got ready to leave, saying your see you laters to everyone. Finn got a maid to go and grab the containers of food he had put away, and you ushered Saoirse to the car, her presents already been put in the trunk and backseat by a butler.