EIGHT

PUBLISHED: 19/05/2022
READER'S POV

The ride to my family's camp was silent, and the air inside the car was heavy. I had Polly stop twice so I could get out because I felt nauseous enough that I was sure I was going to vomit. Thankfully, I didn't.

We arrived at my family's camp, and Polly shut off the car. We were the first of the wedding party to arrive, everyone else coming in other cars. Finn and Jeremiah were already here, and if everything was going to plan he would be walking down the aisle now, and everyone would be in the tent, waiting for the arrival of the bridal and groom party, then, finally, me. I could see the tent just a walk away, nice looking stones from the stream laid out to mark the aisle.

"Are you ready to do this?" Polly asked, looking at me in the rear view mirror.

"I don't have a choice," I snapped, feeling a lump form in my throat.

I closed my eyes took a deep breath to calm me down.

"I can object because you're sixteen; underage. Tommy won't do anything if I object." Polly stated, making me open my right eye to look at her.

I could be free of this. I could say yes and forget it all. I could choose who I wanted to marry, if I ever wanted to marry.

But, getting Polly to object would damage both the reputations of my family, and hers. I'd probably get kicked out of my family, and my family would go to war with the Shelbys. It wasn't worth it. Not now, not ever.

"I'll be fine," I said in what I hoped was a reassuring tone, "Finn and I, we'll — we'll figure something out."

Polly leaned over and grabbed both my hands, squeezing them tightly.

"You're such a brave girl," She declared, "And don't let anyone ever, ever tell you any different. And if they do, take their eyes, because very soon you're going to be a Shelby, and becoming a Shelby means that you're going to become a Peaky fuckin' Blinder."

I chuckled at her, then she let my hands go, and we exited the car. I grabbed my bridal bouquet from the seat, then shut the door.

Ezzie rounded everyone up with the help of Isiah. I leaned back against the car and watched, feeling sick to my stomach. Usually this would be a sight of joy, and I'd happily play a part in the bridal party, but now that it was my own, the bridal party that was meant to give me the most joy whilst I was watching them, I just felt misery. It was unfair and unjust to be put in this position.

Tommy walked over to me, Dad hot on his heels. He stood on my left, leaning against the car, and Dad took the spot on my right.

"You're having a honeymoon after your wedding. You and Finn will have no work for the next seven days." Tommy stated.

I watched him as he pulled his cigarette case from his pocket, opening it, and put one in his mouth. Unbelievable.

"Don't you dare light that fucking smoke next to me, I'm not walking down the aisle smelling like smoke!" I hissed, snatching it out of his mouth, which made his eyebrows shoot up.

"(Y/N)!" Dad warned as Tommy plucked the smoke out of my hands and put it back into the case, and returned it to his pocket.

"She's alright," Tommy said, nodding at Dad, "Did Polly talk to you?"