THIRTY-ONE

PUBLISHED: 03/07/2022
READER'S POV

"Are we there yet?" Saoirse asked for what must have been the fiftieth time.

Finn had bundled us into the car and blindfolded us, telling us he had a surprise in store.

Finn chuckled, and I felt the car slow to a stop, "We're here, but don't take off your blindfolds yet. I'll come around the car and guide you both to where I want you to stand, and you can take the blindfolds off then."

"Okay," I said, feeling my curiosity eat me from the inside out.

The car door opened, then closed. I listened closely and could hear Finn walk around the car, stopping at the passenger side door. He opened it, and placed a hand on my head, then grabbed my hand with the other.

"Here, now watch your head, I've got my hand over it but you could still bump it," He said as he helped me out of the car.

Once I was standing he helped Saoirse out, then shut the door. He grabbed my hand, and lead me along. He was probably guiding Saoirse with his other hand.

"Okay, I'm going to stop walking now," Finn warned us, and I slowed down, coming to a stop next to him.

He wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Now, take off your blindfolds," Finn ordered lightly, and I wasted no time reaching up and pulling the fabric off of my face.

My jaw dropped at the sight in front of us.

"Is it ours?" I asked, watching as Saoirse skipped up the path towards it.

"Yeah, it's ours. I decorated it myself." Finn confirmed, "Let's go have a tour."

He then lead me up the path, and up the stairs, stopping on the porch, which was a wraparound. Next to the door was a porch swing, and a wooden rocking chair. He stuck his hand into his pocket, producing a key, and unlocked the door to our new house.

"We've an basement, which is where our washer and dryer is, first floor, second floor, and an attic," Finn announced as we walked through the door, his arm still around my waist, "It's half an hour from town, so we'll leave a bit earlier than needed. We're up with the roosters, though, so I don't think it will be a problem."

I hummed in agreement as I looked around. Through the front door was a small mudroom. I took off my coat, and placed it on a hook, then kicked my shoes off, sitting them by the door. Finn followed my lead, then Saoirse did the same.

"Have you picked out rooms yet?" Saoirse questioned as Finn led us into the living room.

"Yes. Yours has a bed right under the window, so you can lay in the sun, and the bed has things each end, so it's like a hideaway," Finn informed Saoirse with a grin.

She started squealing and bouncing on her heels. She loved beds between things. It made her feel secure. It also created more floor space in the centre of the room, giving her a bit more room to run around.

I stood on the threshold of the living room floor, facing the room, and looked around it. The walls were a champagne colour, bar the wall which held the fireplace, that one was dark blue. I hoped the rest of the house had champagne walls. In the centre of the left wall, there was a big, grand fireplace with a black grate covering it. On the mantle there was a radio. It front of the fire was two armchairs and two couches, the couches not parallel to each other, instead coming towards each other at the end, so the furniture made a sort of 'v' shape. They were a rich red in colour, and looked quite comfy.

The window facing the front yard was a bay window, and on either sides of the window and seat were huge book shelves. They weren't all filled with books, it was mostly books, but there were also photographs, board games, and other trinkets there as well. In front of the bookcase on the left was another wooden rocking chair.