SEVENTEEN

PUBLISHED: 02/06/2022
READER'S POV

We cheered and passed the bottle of gin around as Goliath and Bonnie exchanged punches.

I watched as Bonnie sat back down in his corner, blood pouring down his face. Surely it would've stung. I caught his eye and he winked and grinned. I poked my tongue out. He was fine.

I realised that it was now the fourth round and grinned like a Cheshire Cat as the bell rang, signalling the start of the round. Bonnie hopped back up, and headed across the canvas, meeting Goliath in the middle.

I noticed Tommy and Arthur gone from their spots across from us.

"Polly," I began, catching the attention of the woman next to me, "Where are your nephews?"

She followed my gaze across the room and noticed them gone. She frowned, then got up.

"Stay in your seats, don't move," She instructed the rest of us, then strutted off.

I looked back across the room, catching Finn's eye.

"I'm gonna go see Finn," I mumbled to Lizzie, standing up and trying to ignore the pit in my stomach.

I walked around the ring, and in between the empty seats, sitting on Finn's lap.

"Do you know where your brothers are?" I asked him as quietly as I could, eyes back on the fight as I tried to drown out the screaming men around us.

It was loud in here. Loud enough that if someone hit the floor in another part of the building you wouldn't hear it.

"No," Finn replied, and I moved to get up, but he grabbed my waist, holding me in place.

I felt him shift restlessly under me, then stop as he gripped my waist tighter, and shifted me back so my back was flush with his chest, wrapping his forearm around my waist to keep me there.

I could feel the tension coming off of him in waves, and decided not to move. He'd probably pull me right back down anyway.

"If I have to move from this spot tonight, I want you to stay here, where there's people around you." Finn commanded, his breath hot in my ear.

"Come on, Bonnie boy! Bonnie, come on, kill him!" I heard dad call out, and Bonnie moved his arms from his face and started punching Goliath, moving forward and backing him into the ropes, landing a good hit each time.

"Come on, Bon, you can do this!" I called out, and Bonnie moved to knock Goliath out, uppercutting him then giving him a left hook which sent him right into the canvas.

I cheered for my brother, standing up and clapping, Finn doing the same behind me. Bonnie did a lap of the ring, then jumped up onto a corner, and the cheering in the room got even louder.

Dad came over and lifted him up, scurrying across the ring and putting him in the corner next to the one he was standing in.

I felt Finn move behind me, so I looked over and saw Tommy, no Arthur or Polly with him. He grabbed Finn and pulled him close, whispering in his ear.

Finn looked shocked as Tommy patted him on the chest and walked off. Finn sunk back into his chair, and put his head in his hands.

"Finn?" I questioned, getting no answer.

I knelt down in front of him, turning back to see Polly across the room, sitting next to a crying Linda.

"Is it to do with Arthur?" I asked the sandy haired boy in front of me, him nodding as he pulled his hands away from his face.