TWENTY-THREE

PUBLISHED: 14/06/2022
FINN'S POV

I just wanted to go home and drink. Tommy fucked up the good mood you had put me in. The other day, he had stepped me up, giving me an actual job instead of following him around doing endless bits and bobs. A job of making sure everything went smoothly at the racetracks, and that nothing happened to our bookies, and that every bit of money that we made was accounted for.

Today, he had someone following me around whilst I was doing that job. A new boy, no less. It was insulting. Always looking over my shoulder, asking me what I was doing, making sure I was doing it the way Tommy wanted. I grew up around racetracks, I knew how it all worked, Tommy and the boys showed me how it all worked. I could do it in my sleep. It made me feel stupid, the way Tommy treated me sometimes.

I walked up the stairs, and along the balcony. I stopped outside our apartment and pulled out my cigarette case, putting one between my lips, then pulling my lighter out of my pocket. I flicked it open and tried to light my smoke with it, to no avail. Fuck me. This just wasn't my day.

I placed the loose cigarette and empty lighter back into my pocket, and walked into the apartment, taking off my cap as I did so. I was immediately met by the smell of a cake cooking, and the chatter of kids.

You were there, standing next to Karl, Saoirse, and Bonnie as they licked batter off of two beaters and a spoon. You were holding a bowl and two spoons, your hair pulled up into a high messy bun.

You looked away from Bonnie, and your eyes lit up and you beamed me a smile as soon as you saw me stood there, "Finn! I saved you some batter from our celebration cake."

You held up the bowl and spoons proudly. Everyone else said various words of greeting, but were too preoccupied with eating batter. Karl swiped some off of Saoirse's beater, then she swiped some off of Bonnie, who then tried to swipe some off of you, to no avail. You laughed at your brother's crestfallen face, and he ruffled your hair, making you squeal.

Your smile soon dropped as you realised something was up with me. You asked Bonnie to put everything in the sink after they were done as you dropped the teaspoons into the bowl. You came over and looped your arm through mine, leading me down to your room and shutting the door behind us.

"What's wrong, Finn?" You asked softly, a hint of worry in your tone, going and placing the bowl on your bed, then coming to stand in front of me.

"Fucking — Tommy fucked me over." I grumbled, and you gave me an understanding look.

"Want to talk about it?" You questioned, going and sitting on your bed, tapping the spot next to you.

I went and sat down, leaning against the footboard of your bed, as you moved and made yourself comfortable up at the headboard, bowl in hand.

"Tommy had Richard Carpenter following me around all day at the racetracks, asking me questions about every single thing I was doing." I complained, and you scrunched your nose up, placing the bowl down.

"He asked Dick, of all people? One of the new boys? The one who wouldn't know his own knob from a doorknob?" You said incredulously, making me snort, even though I was proper mad.

"Yes, that one. He even accused me of dipping my hand!" I threw my hands up in frustration, and your jaw dropped.

I also didn't like Richard because of the way he always tried to flirt with you; even in front of me. Disrespectful prick. He thought just because he was older than me he could boss me around, even though I had the seniority in rank.