THIRTY-TWO

PUBLISHED: 04/07/2022
THIRD PERSON'S POV

You watched as your sister and her husband finished signing the last paper that they had to, using the bay window seat for help.

"Congratulations. I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may seal this union with a kiss!" Jeremiah said, grinning widely at his son and his new daughter-in-law.

You, your Dad, Bonnie, Saoirse, and Finn cheered, clapped and whistled as the pair kissed each other in their nightclothes.

Your cat let out a yowl of protest at the noise, and your dog just barked happily along with you all.

Ezzie and Isiah hadn't wanted to have a big flashy wedding. They decided to just sign the papers to make it official. A split second decision, of course, made at ten o'clock at night, which is why those two, you and Finn (the witnesses), as well as Jeremiah (the officiant), and your immediate family were now standing in your living room in your sleep clothes, the clock on the wall saying that it was closer to midnight than eleven o'clock.

Ezzie had called you at half past ten, pulling you out of your slumber and telling you to wake the fuck up and get ready because she was going to get married and you were going to be a witness. You had to put Finn's Wellington boots on to go down to the river, a lantern in hand, to go and wake your father and brother up to tell them that Ezzie was coming to get married.

Your brother was annoyed, asking 'Couldn't it wait until sunrise?'

Your father had just chuckled and said 'Apparently not.'

After getting back to the house, your brother and father in tow, you found Finn standing at the foot of the stairs, having woken up worried because he you weren't by his side.

You had told him to go wake up Saoirse, and bring her downstairs, because Ezzie and Isiah, along with Jeremiah, were coming so Ezzie and Isiah could make the marriage official. He thought it was a dream until you took off his boot and whacked him with it to prove otherwise.

The room felt slightly cold, even with the fire starting to warm it up.

Jeremiah was smart enough to grab his fluffy black robe to cover himself, along with a pair of brown slippers to keep his feet warm. Your father never seemed to be bothered by the cold, hardened by many nights camping under the stars. Ezzie and Isiah were barefoot on the cold wooden floor, same as Finn. Saoirse and Bonnie were sharing the blanket from her bed, sitting side by side on the green rug. You had on a pair of socks, not liking having cold feet. You could stay warm if you feet were warm. Once your feet were cold, you were done for.

"Can the rest of the celebration wait until morning?" Saoirse asked sleepily, leaning against Bonnie, who chuckled and wrapped the blanket around his youngest sister.

"We've got voting for Tommy in the morning," You reminded Saoirse, who nodded, eyes nearly closed.

You wouldn't be able to vote, being sixteen, but everyone else in the room, bar Saoirse, could.

"We gonna have a drink before we go to bed? Or do you two just want to go straight home?" Bonnie asked his sister and his new brother in law.

"Let's just have a cuppa, aye, Esmeralda?" Isiah asked your older sister, who nodded.

"Save the drink for tomorrow, Lord knows we won't need any before then," Your sister muttered, making you all chuckle.

You all moved into the kitchen, where Bonnie had started the fire after coming into the house. It was already roaring, the kitchen warm enough.