Hope...

҉ A PrinceSSly CoNNectioN ҉

Chapter's song: Nothing without you by Ollie Murs

ChaPtEr TWENTY-THREE _________________________

Hope...

The house was quiet when I came back from my exhausting visit on the hospital. I'd also stopped on the mall and I might have taken most day picking clothes and a few books for Tom's children. I needed the distraction. He'd been quite shy but grateful. That had been the highlight of my day. Other than that, I couldn't but feel bad about the way I spoke to a ninety-year old woman sitting on the hospital. Not to forget the heavy sadness that I seem to be carrying everywhere.

The table was set on the best china. My fingers traced the delicate embroidered tablecloth that Mom had set. I was excited to see Uncle Hugh. Still, it wasn't enough.

I felt empty.

As if a part of me had been ripped away. All I wanted to do was cuddle on my bed and ty to sleep to see Jason's grey eyes one more time.

"Everyone went to the airport to greet Hugh. I thought you'd left with them, too." Dad's dark voice made me skip a beat. His brown eyes were loving and caring as they set on me.

Clutching my racing heart, I shook my head. "I went to the mall to get a few presents for Tom's new baby and his daughter."

"That's nice," he smiled. "So, how are you feeling?"

I looked at him. Had Mom said anything to him? He did look suspiciously aware that I might or not be somewhat depressed. Awesome, Mom. "I'm tired. Still struggling with the time change and all that."

He nodded, "Did you went to visit your great-grandmother?" I grimaced. He raised an eyebrow as he asked, "that bad, huh?"

I took a deep breath. "Well, let's just say that I'm not her favorite person at the moment. And she'll probably disinherit me given the chance."

Dad chuckled, "The worst part is that she might be running out of heirs."

A small smile drew on my face. "I do feel guilty for the harsh comebacks I gave to her. I mean," I sighed, "she's sick and well...old." My shoulders slumped, "but she was talking nonsense about Mom and Ashley and she would probably start talking about me or you if I'd given her time."

He nodded understandingly. If it was hard for me I could imagine that it might be harder for him. He patted me on the back. "If that's how you feel, you should apologize to her." I grimaced again. "Eventually." He smiled mischievously, "let her sweat a little for a few days." He looked away, "she deserves it."

"I'm sorry Dad, it must be hard for you."

He shrugged. "Like you said, she's old and age has made her more stubborn and downright mean. But she's still my grandmother..." he trailed annoyed.

I was sure that Mom was talking to him to try to be patient with her. If only Grandma Isobel knew. She gave no credit to Mom.

"I'm really tired," I said rubbing the back of my neck. It did hurt. "I'm going to go lay down for a while. Could you let me know when they arrive?"

Dad's eyes looked apprehensive. "Sure." Nodding, I took a step towards the stairs when he added, "Marianne. If there's anything I can do to help you out, just let me know, ok?" He looked worried. In that your-mother-told-me-all-about-it-and-it-sucks way.

A shaky smile played on my lips as I swallowed hard. "Thank you."

"I mean it."

"I know, Dad." My eyes were tearing up. I practically ran upstairs to my room but I could see the sad and concern glint that flickered on my father's eyes as I turned away.