Bonus chapter

Remembering...

Jason's POV

I was driving through the night

I was driving through the night. My hands were gripping tightly the steering wheel, so tight that you could see my knuckles white. Different lights flashed in front of me as I took a swerve on the road. The rain was crashing loudly against the car's windows. The wipers were wagging furiously, trying to clear the view as I punched the wheel with my right hand. "Goddammit!" She was nowhere in sight. "Where the hell are you?"

I was angry at her. I'd given up everything for her.

Then again, I was also furious with myself. My stomach plummeted to the floor.

What the fuck had I done?

I hadn't told her. I couldn't.

How could I be so selfish?

Marianne deserved better than me. She deserved someone that would love her completely. That knew there was no other option but to have her with everything she entitled.

Desperation crept upon me. Would she have chosen me?

Fuck. Don't even go there.

At the pit of my stomach I knew the answer. She wouldn't.

She was stronger than she thought she was.

And I was just a dick by trying to make her choose.

My eyes trained on the truck ahead of me

My eyes trained on the truck ahead of me. Desperate to keep looking for her, I sped up and just as I was passing right next to the vehicle, I saw the tires gliding away. My breath caught in my chest as I gripped the steering wheel with all the strength I could muster.

This it. Maybe it's for the best...

***

I jumped out of bed panting hard. My skin felt sticky as I'd been jerking around. A trail of sweat fell down my spine.

Fuck.

"Baby?" Marianne's fragile body stirred beside me.

My heart thumped loudly inside my chest. "I had a bad dream...I just need some air."