Fractured...

Chapter's song: 9 crimes by Damien Rice

ChaPtEr THIRTY-THREE _________________________

Fractured...

My feet bashed against the pavement as I ran away from Jason.

I heard him calling me but his voice made me ran faster. Tears ran down my cheeks as I pushed myself harder. I didn't want to talk to him. I also didn't want to make a scene in front of Tom.

I wanted to be alone. I needed to be alone.

My legs started to cramp from the running and I was completely out of breath as I leaned against a wall in front of a small Italian restaurant. I watched the scene in front of me unfold; a couple was talking animatedly illuminated by candlelight. It was like pouring salt on a wound. I closed my eyes for a moment as my phone started to ring.

Exhausted, I looked at the screen, Jason's face popped in. With trembling hands, I ended the call and shut it down.

What did just happen?

Did we break up?

Was there anything at all?

I thought about everything that we'd been gone through. I loved him. There was no doubt about it.

Did he?

Did he love me?

Was it enough?

Was I enough?

A few droplets fell on my arms. My eyes looked up. It was starting to rain. Bloody awesome.

Running a hand across my face, I crossed the street towards the Italian place I'd been looking at. The bell above the doorframe chimed as I walked in. A couple of heads turned my way. I ignored them. My eyes found the most secluded table across the room. I settled on as a twentyish boy approached me.

"Are you waiting for someone?" his blue eyes assessed me for a moment as I shook my head.

Straightening my blouse, I sighed. "I'm not really hungry...could I just get a coffee please?"

His eyes looked behind me for a moment. "Sure thing. That storm seems nasty, doesn't it?"

"Yeah." You have no idea...

"I'll be right back. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me. I'm John, by the way."

"Thank you," I played with the spoon already set on my place. As I heard him walk away, I looked surreptitiously at the couple I'd seen by the window. Her pixie cut shook as she laughed at something her boyfriend said. They were both holding hands and looking at each other in a sort of intimate way.

I looked away. My eyes were brimming with tears as John, my waiter, placed a large coffee mug in front of me. He also placed a small bowl with chocolate ice-cream next to it; "You seem like you need it. It's on me, by the way."

Sniffing, I brushed my eyes, "thank you."

"Don't mention it."

I followed him with my eyes as he talked to another table. Always with a smile on his face. It amazed me how strangers could make you feel better by being nice.

Loneliness washed over me. And I swallowed my sorrow in chocolate ice-cream. Tears pooled in my eyes as I thought about it all.

Why was he acting out like that? What brought it out? He'd been so different...

I thought about it hard. The way he acted, the way he looked. The way I'd felt.

Did you hear him out? Asked questions? A little voice sounded in my head. I swallowed hard. I didn't.