Working out

Hi there,

It is a short chapter this time but I promise the next one will fully focus on them and we finally get an insight into what actually happened between Fletcher and Avery. Please leave a comment or a star, so I know that someone is reading this. Enjoy. :) xx R.

***

Friday, October 1st, 2021

The next two weeks flew by and I started to get worried about our bet. Does our NYC fate really stop working right now? I finished work a bit earlier on a Wednesday afternoon and could not stop thinking about Fletcher and what happened so I decided to go to the gym. Unfortunately, the gym in my apartment complex has been closed due to renovation for the whole month so I had to find a public gym around the neighborhood with a daily membership deal.

I was just finishing up the lifting section of my training plan and was about to go do some rowing when I noticed a messy bun on one of the treadmills. It was Cari Fletcher. Even though I hated running more than anything in life, I could not miss up on this chance of seeing her. I stepped on the treadmill next to hers and started at a slow pace. Fletcher looked deep in her thoughts and didn't notice me at first, so I decided not to bother her. I have completed my first half a mile by the time she first looked up at me. I immediately looked at her and after a second of intense eye contact, she started to laugh. I took off my headphone and she did the same with her AirPods.

"I barely left my apartment in the last two weeks in order to avoid you. The first time I go farther than a few blocks from my apartment, you are here." Cari shook her head but couldn't stop her amused smile.

"NYC does not disappoint." I shrugged even though it did hurt knowing that she intentionally tried to avoid me.

"I seriously don't understand how it is possible that this city always brings us to the same place." Fletcher said before her eyes looked down at my arms. "I didn't know you got so much ink."

I also looked at my right arm which was now a full sleeve. I only had a few here and there during our relationship, but she knew that this was in my plans.

"It took me a while but the more secure I felt about Potluck, the less anxious I was about my future job possibilities and started adding different parts to it." I turned it so she could see the whole sleeve. "Do you have anything besides the "Embrace it" one?"

"I do." She said but didn't seem like she wanted to elaborate on it. "Any chance that you will let go of our bet?"

"A bet is a bet," I said even though I felt more anxious all of a sudden. It is really happening. Cari will know the truth after 6 years. "When are you free for our conversation?"

"I have a day off tomorrow. Let's do it as soon as possible." She sighed while looking away from me to adjust her treadmill. We weren't running since she recognized me but we were still walking at a fairly intense pace.

"Can I pick you up tomorrow morning at 10.00?" I offered immediately. Fletcher seemed surprised by my suggested time.

"No need for that. Let's meet at the coffee shop."

"Sure. Where would you like to meet?" I did not push it, I was just glad that she agreed to our meeting.

"Do you know Hygge? They have been serving free coffee to me for the last two weeks. Would that work?" She asked jokingly and I laughed softly. I was happy that she did not stop going there even after our encounter.

"Okay, Hygge it is. The time works for you?" I wanted to double-check that we were both on the same page.

"Yes, tomorrow, 10 o'clock, Hygge." Fletcher confirmed everything while she watched me getting off the treadmill. "Are you not finishing your run?"

"I still hate running." I shook my head. "Just wanted to make sure that you were aware of losing our bet. I will let you finish yours and do my intended training." I pointed towards the rowing machines. She gave me the most Cari grin I have seen since our first encounter almost a month ago but waved goodbye at me.

Maybe we have a chance at a... friendship?